"I Let the Girls Pick Me"

expat

I don't' date=' I find their food tasteless and commercially processed :beer:[/quote']

:yeahthat:

Agreed as well. The only edible thing on the menu is the duck. It is pretty nice, as others have said.

Luckily, Mrs LK feels the same way.

And since we live in the Japanese ghetto, we are spoilt for choice on J-food. Fuji never cracks the top 50 LOL! Much good, and mostly inexpensive, stuff nearly walking distance from our condo. But all hidden away on back sois around the "green route" and Suk sois 39-55. Some J-speak works wonders in these places, but not necessary (both of us can handle that tho', with me better).

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And since we live in the Japanese ghetto, we are spoilt for choice on J-food. Fuji never cracks the top 50 LOL! Much good, and mostly inexpensive, stuff nearly walking distance from our condo. But all hidden away on back sois around the "green route" and Suk sois 39-55. Some J-speak works wonders in these places, but not necessary (both of us can handle that tho', with me better).

OT

Any recommendation for good J-food? (And I speak some Japanese)

Can't go wrong at any place in the Nihonmura plaza, on Thonglor 13, almost across the street from the new Woodstock. Uomasa is easily the best in there, tho' all are very good.

There are so many places to try. All of those streets in that area have multiple restaurants. All pretty good in our experience (both Mrs LK & I are J-food connoisseurs). We could spend six months eating in new J-restaurants every other day and not do them all.

We are also big fans of Isao on Suk soi 31. But the style of rolls (very creative and non-traditional) is very Japanese-American. Regardless, great and fresh food -- the Volcano is a *must* try. Interesting presentations, unusual dishes. Most excellent. And on the hi-so circuit, so you never know what TV/movie star you'll meet there.

Then there is K-Village. May good choices there as well. Mrs LK & I are there for dinner at least once a week -- so many places to choose from. Also on the hi-so circuit, so reservations are necessary especially on weekends.

All those places are pretty easy for the non-resident to find with only slight effort.

... sometimes it means you'll be eating at MK 6 times within 2 weeks. :beer:

Haha...great one!

Seriously, I will never understand why Thais--of many social classes--like the tasteless crap they serve at MK, especially when they fucking have some of the world's most amazing food all around them, sometimes for next-to-nothing on the street.

Whenever I've been dragged to MK by Thais--and thankfully, sometimes at least they've paid--they invariably go for that lame ass hot pot/suki shit...I will never understand that "dish". It starts out totally devoid of taste, with all the wrong textures and "flavors," and then you work throughout the course of the meal to try to impart some flavor to it. Ugh. Come to think of it, the Cambodians love that tasteless hot pot shit too.

... sometimes it means you'll be eating at MK 6 times within 2 weeks. :beer:

Haha...great one!

Seriously' date=' I will never understand why Thais--of many social classes--like the tasteless crap they serve at MK, especially when they fucking have some of the world's most amazing food all around them, sometimes for next-to-nothing on the street.

Whenever I've been dragged to MK by Thais--and thankfully, sometimes at least they've paid--they invariably go for that lame ass hot pot/suki shit...I will never understand that "dish". It starts out totally devoid of taste, with all the wrong textures and "flavors," and then you work throughout the course of the meal to try to impart some flavor to it. Ugh. Come to think of it, the Cambodians love that tasteless hot pot shit too. [/quote']

That is why they have the duck (and it is actually the sauce that comes with the duck, as the duck has been drained of all its quality as well) on the menu :beer:

• 6 months later...

Archived