I am making my first trip to Thailand

Davis

:surprised:

PLEASE HELP a newbie! I have a friend who is married to a Thai lady; they seem quiet content and have been so for about 3 years. I am going in April. I joined Sweet Singles, it's where they met. I am excited to see the area and maybe have some fun too. My goal though is to find a solid (non bargirl) family oriented wife. I know it will take time and may take many trips, so I'm told by my friend who reports that not all the ladies are what they say they are - but that's the case anywhere and everywhere. I would like to make a few friends and contacts and get soem advice on everything from where to stay, where to go for entertainment, to how others have found healthy relationships who may have been where I am now.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Definitely second the 'learn Thai' suggestion, makes a big difference.

Also, if you intend to partake of the nightlife as well make sure you do NOT mention this to any of the regular girls you meet, nor to your friend's wife.

As Shygye said your friend's wife might be able to make some introductions as well. Thai girls do seem to like doing this, whereas I've found most expats are much more reluctant to do so (I've been burned a few times making such intros as well and refuse to do so now).

Living and working here would be the best way to meet nice girls, but I can imagine that might be hard to arrange.

Sanuk!

Davis

www.thailovelinks.com

All you need to know. Do your homework now. Set up a few meets for coffee but always with an escape clause...eg "I have to meet my friend in 30 mins"

If then you are not interested you have an easy exit. If you like them you can jusct cancel your meeting.

A lot of the girls use misleading pics so cams are good. If a girl need an internet cafe to chat to you give her a miss as she is probably a player.

Make sure you drop bye to meet some of the older wiser :rotl: on a friday.

Good ruck ;)

I'm always being asked to set up girls with European guys (from Grandmothers to young hot chicks), whom have BTW never stepped foot in a bar in their life.

However, since I'm not a dating service I always laugh it off asking what eye / hair colour, age etc. as if they were ordering a wee lamb (to be later spit-roasted).

Anyhow don't ask too many questions (you will get many off-putting answers, that's why), just come over and find out for yourself.

You could do no better then the earlier suggestions to learn Thai. If you're really serious about this I'd suggest the linguaphone course. That's the one I did before stepping foot in Thailand. I took to it with a real shine. It takes about 12 weeks, but if you're not working and are at leisure so to speak , you could probably do it in a month - all depends on your passion etc.

:surprised:

My goal though is to find a solid (non bargirl) family oriented wife.

Ok, I only know bargirls and in hindsight I would say, stay away from Pattaya and from the P4P areas in Bangkok (Soi Cowboy, Nana Plaza). It is so easy to find a girl for a few days for little money and this combined with the booze might divert you from your initial goal.

And relationships with BGs seems to have an extremely high failure rate.

Anyway punters often say that you can take a girl out of a bar, but not the bar out of the girl. Sometimes I think that this saying applies to punters as well.

And Bangkok can be overwhelming, maybe you should go to a smaller city were people will get to know you. And as all others said: start learning Thai.

Actually, I made the decision to learn Thai and to venture outside of BKK after my last summer's trip to BKK where I met a certain BG...

Good Luck!

PS: reading old threads in the relationship subforum might provide you with some - of course extremely subjective - information about relationships with Thai girls.

PS/PS: Never stop smiling when in LOS. :content:

Archived