I am making my first trip to Thailand

Davis

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WoW, everybody has been helpful ! Thanks, I really wasn't sure is I would get any responce.

I can't help but smile at myself when it's suggested that I learn some Thai, I will try but ya'll make it sound a lot easyer than I think I will find it to be just from listening to it.

Thanks fopr the Info about the BG's, my friend s wife is going to give me her sisters email so we can get in touch and she can help show me around.

That's the same thing my freind here told, (about the meet for coffee or diner an have an escape planned)

I will look into the linguaphone course, any tips on used courses for sale? I do work full time, I am a MD for the government, I do some ER work on the side, and have a small investment co.

So I am limitted in the amount of time to stay in Thailand but I can make pretty frequent week long trips.

Regarding the "fun" areas, I likely will fall for the temptation to spend at least one evening having fun, what would be a good spot to go for a nice selection? I am not into drinking so that want be a problem. Please no boys that look like girls places...lol, not my thing.

I'm pretty much a normal guy that got divorced 7 years ago and lost all I care to lose for one lifetime in divorce. I am in great shape but I am really turned off by the ladies attitude here. You've heard all this before, and I'm sure many feel this same way. My friends ask 'why go way over there, you're a nice looking man just find a good wife here, they just want you for a passport and money...I respond by, 'you mean as apposed to the American ladies that really want me for true love..., not just for secondary gain...some get the message.

Thanks and I'll keep in closer touch here.

If anybody is willing to chat are talk on skype or the phone to share information please let me know.

I'll show my ignorance again..and again...I do not get the reference to "meet some of the older wiser on a friday"...is there a spot where I can meet some friendly expats and give them a good laugh at how green I am in Thailand?? I could learn a lot and hell, I'll be laughing at myself most of the time anyway.

Also what's up with Casablanca...?

Thanks to everybody again!

I’ve got a theory about the superior way to travel, and bear with me because this goes mostly against the grain. The *less* you know the more of an *adventure* it is.

For example, in Rome I stumbled upon the Colosseum on a long walk for the first time without consulting a map, then as the sun fell I encountered the Treves fountain after I walked down a narrow alley way (Katie Holmes was there as well, but that’s another story). Only after seeing these things was I enamoured enough to want to read about them, find out about them (and no, not Katie).

No one I think wants their future wife served up on a platter, LOL, maybe Jdarma – but well you know what I mean. Don’t go asking for a no risk template for how you go about doing it either – besides would that be what you really want? Tick box one to one hundred, then head off to the altar?

Arm your arsenal with language, and then go find out for yourself. Far be it for me to say it, but you will no doubt be bombarded with off putting advice. I’ve often pondered why this is so, and I’ve got my own theories about this, but for now I’ll be keeping them to myself, which is just as well.

On the matter of language, it *is not* easy. No one would say that. It’s time consuming. What I found was that I could steal bits and bobs of time here and there for instance by doodling Thai on my notepad during an incessant meeting at work. Like anything worth doing in life you have to just *do* it. Not just dream about doing it. Having said that, I found it to be quite recreational, a release from work and as I progressed it was a very positive experience.

Finally being an MD working for the government you will no doubt be familiar with risk assessments. Why is it most punters don’t apply their considerable skills and experience from their professional life to their personal one can never fail to amaze me?

This is the kernel of truth you need to know. You’ve got it all, the good job, the American citizenship and hopefully some good sense – just don’t get sucked in and blow it all on some petty deceiving pretty bar girl that will have your cajones for breakfast in many more ways than one.

Anyhow long post I know – but I’ll go ahead and leave you with this: treat this like an adventure, find out the truth for yourself, not third hand through these LOL jaundiced eyes.

...I'm pretty much a normal guy that got divorced 7 years ago and lost all I care to lose for one lifetime in divorce. I am in great shape but I am really turned off by the ladies attitude here. You've heard all this before, and I'm sure many feel this same way.

There's many foreigners that now reside here due to similar and unfortunate past experiences. Some only become enamored with the bar scene and bar girls, which is a loser strategy. Rely on both friends for referrals and your instincts as Thai women can be quite deceptive. And, many Thai ladies who have not experienced parts of the world other than Thailand often have trouble adjusting to relocating to another country.

Happy hunting...

Archived