Palm Oil (Cooking Oil)

Pom Michael

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is,,,

Palm Oil (raw material) has increased from US$600 /metric tonne to over $1500

Soy Bean Oil....Peanut Oil....Sunflower Oil.....almost unobtainable

The Chinese have just released shit loads from their reserves..

We may see an improvement shortly....but prices will be UP...UP...UP....

No immediate relief in sight...

Cheers DS

So if you don't use Palm Oil - what oil would you use (here in Thailand)?

I have a huge 5 liter plastic jug of Makro's Olive Oil that is my primary cooking oil - but I normally keep that for myself when I cook due to the price. The maid uses palm oil for basically everything else.

ND - still very difficult to find normal cooking oil of any type in the stores - only the imported oils are left - and when they do get a stock of oil in it is rightly rationed to one or two bottles per purchaser.

So for a month or so now, there has been no "cooking" oil available in any shops in all of Thailand.

So what do the good politicians do? Blame each other (more specifically each other's party).

What happened?

To re-ask the question, why was there a shortage allowed to happen in the first place?

I can understand the keystone cops/politicians all scrambling over each other to blame someone else and personally profit from the fracas, but the question remains: "why was there a shortage allowed to happen in the first place?"

No shortage here, or reports of a shortage anywhere else......

Maybe just this is just the Thai version of SNAFU (situation normal all fucked up) -

TFU (thailand, fucked up)

India sees continued demand for Malaysian palm oil this year, given the current shortage of edible oils in the country, said India Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma.

India, the world's largest importer of vegetable oils, bought about 8.82 million tonnes of edible oils such as palm oil, soy oil and sunflower oil during the November 2009-October 2010 crop year.

“I expect India's annual demand for Malaysian palm oil to continue to grow,†Sharma said at a briefing for selected media here after signing the Malaysia-India Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement (CECA) in Putrajaya yesterday.

Some of the many different kinds of edible vegetable oils include: olive oil, palm oil, soybean oil, canola oil, pumpkin seed oil, corn oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil, peanut oil, grape seed oil, sesame oil, argan oil and rice bran oil. Many other kinds of vegetable oils are also used for cooking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking_oils

Only the very expensive oils are presently on the shelves around Bangkok.

Archived