VPN: really secure connection to the I-net

kamui

Current attacks on US filesharers:

The Hurt Locker lawsuits branch out across the country

By Jacqui Cheng

The US Copyright Group, also known as Dunlap, Grubb & Weaver, is making good on its promise to put the hurt on P2P users. The law firm has begun leveraging the work of outside lawyers to file lawsuits in various states against users accused of illegally downloading movies like The Hurt Locker.

Because the majority of the lawsuits are being filed against anonymous Internet users, the law firm has [color:red]had to subpoena ISPs[/color] in order to try and discover their real identities.

Readers have begun to e-mail about having received letters about Hurt Locker; one letter gave the user an option to pay [color:red]$2,900[/color] by March 11 in order to stay off the lawsuit, or [color:red]$3,900[/color] until March 25.

ars technica

--

This wouldn't have happened with VPN. :alert:

But most cases don't go to court and by now hundreds of thousands of people in Western countries have paid a lot of money to the anti-piracy companies.

Oh they go to court. They go to criminal court. The big entertainment companies only take selected cases into civil court.

But it is also very true that many site owners do not go to either court, mostly because the defendant are guilty as hell or or can not defend themselves. The funny thing is, the largest free law service in the world, the ACLU, will not touch the cases either as most times... yes it is theft.

Link

A lawyer has dramatically withdrawn from pursuing alleged illegal file-sharers in the middle of a court case he brought.

The patent court in London is currently scrutinising 26 cases brought by ACS: Law on behalf of its client MediaCAT.

The law firm had sent thousands of letters to alleged file-sharers.

Those who received such letters may pursue ACS: Law for harassment, said law firm Ralli, which represents some of the defendants. ...

Judge Birss also questioned why MediaCAT wanted to drop the cases.

"I want to tell you that I am not happy. I am getting the impression with every twist and turn since I started looking at these cases that there is a desire to avoid any judicial scrutiny," he said. ...

Why did you leave this part out of your quote?

He cited criminal attacks and bomb threats as reasons.

Link

A lawyer has dramatically withdrawn from pursuing alleged illegal file-sharers in the middle of a court case he brought.

The patent court in London is currently scrutinising 26 cases brought by ACS: Law on behalf of its client MediaCAT.

The law firm had sent thousands of letters to alleged file-sharers.

Those who received such letters may pursue ACS: Law for harassment, said law firm Ralli, which represents some of the defendants. ...

Judge Birss also questioned why MediaCAT wanted to drop the cases.

"I want to tell you that I am not happy. I am getting the impression with every twist and turn since I started looking at these cases that there is a desire to avoid any judicial scrutiny," he said. ...

Archived