anywhere in cambodia that have no ngos

dingsbumst69

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not nor would I ever debate there is a massive amount of money spent on drugs (the legal kind :p). But to say "big pharm." is purposefully delaying or stoping research is just ludicrous.

People seem to forget or just dont realize that 90% of all big pharm and little pharm profits are from "public domain" drugs.

I am not nor would I ever debate there is a massive amount of money spent on drugs (the legal kind :p). But to say "big pharm." is purposefully delaying or stoping research is just ludicrous.

People seem to forget or just dont realize that 90% of all big pharm and little pharm profits are from "public domain" drugs.

I would not dismiss it out of hand. Let's take a sexual disease, they say 1 in 4/5 people in the USA have herpes. This would represent a huge profit in any preventative medicine they make, which I understand they now have.

So, let's say they have the technology to create a vaccine. Do you think that this company, with the technological knowledge in its hands (already having gone to a great expense to create it) would really want a one off vaccine pill on the market? Just to simple say out of their conscious, forget the large profits let's get noble? I think they won't, unless another company comes through and may compete with a vaccine.

Once a drug is created, it still takes a year or more to get it onto the market, I guess then this company would then get noble and release their vaccine :beer:

I would not dismiss it out of hand. Let's take a sexual disease, they say 1 in 4/5 people in the USA have herpes. This would represent a huge profit in any preventative medicine they make, which I understand they now have.

So, let's say they have the technology to create a vaccine. Do you think that this company, with the technological knowledge in its hands (already having gone to a great expense to create it) would really want a one off vaccine pill on the market? Just to simple say out of their conscious, forget the large profits let's get noble? I think they won't, unless another company comes through and may compete with a vaccine.

This is what copyrights and patents are for, and how they are effectively used. But also used is the pill as you describe it is doubtlessly a mighty sophisticated thing. There could be no "one off cheap" one even made with out a first world lab.

Like they say about the argument over zethromax. Yes the pills cost about $0.30 to make. But the first one cost $300,000,000 to make. You cant hold on to discoveries and research like that because you cant stay in business.

Also, things like that cant be made in a vacuum. Due to the processes involved, it is often very public esp what is being worked on. (Mostly because you just cant keep scientists quiet. So that argument is moot.

Once a drug is created, it still takes a year or more to get it onto the market, I guess then this company would then get noble and release their vaccine :beer:

They cant "just release a vaccine" As you say, it has to be tested, re tested, tested again, then Human trials. So that argument is also moot.

As many here will recall, I had a hand in the Aids Vaccine trial a few years ago on the military side. Everyone knew what we were doing that reads the journals. So it is not like it was hidden. 100s of thousands of researchers were and are watching you. There are no secretes.

All you say is correct however, it would come down to bean counters in the end - the company heads I feel, would simply base it on a commercial decision, i.e., how much extra profit can we make selling our breakout pills, that we already have on the market before we release a vaccine (which will be a one off pill)?

X$ x 10,000,000 pills x years = massive profit

X$ x 10,000,000 pills x 1 = lower and dwindling profit :beer:

All you say is correct however, it would come down to bean counters in the end - the company heads I feel, would simply base it on a commercial decision, i.e., how much extra profit can we make selling our breakout pills, that we already have on the market before we release a vaccine (which will be a one off pill)?

X$ x 10,000,000 pills x years = massive profit

X$ x 10,000,000 pills x 1 = lower and dwindling profit :beer:

But that is not true either. (How do you guys not understand this stuff???)

The research in to a new drug, either a super cure or just a new way to fight the cold, is monumentally expensive. On the order of $50,000,000 just to start.

80% or more of them are done "in the dark." In other words, they have no idea if what they think will work actually will. So you do about 5000 chemical reactions, then 50,000 simulations... then you give it to a rat.

Any one of them go wrong or do something odd... back to the black board.

The "bean counters" dont even come into it till after approval. Why? Because there is nothing to bean count till it is approved!!!

Billion $$$ companies have gone belly up when a drug does not pass approval. Many more have been ravaged when research did not pan out.

I don't disagree, I am quite aware how expensive it is, and the enormous costs involved, but those costs are still a constant, regardless if you put a new vaccine onto the market the day it is approved and ratified or until you have milk the public for several years on just episodal treatments. We shall agree to disagree :beer:

Antibiotics in food is a US issue.. Not allowed in most other countries (Canada etc)

If you are saying that large companies are blocking cures ( stem cells and your magic snake oil etc) just so they can keep people with chronic diseases so they buy pills, I think you better rethink simple economics. How much money would people pay to be cured from these diseases if they could?? Their entire life savings? Sell the house and move into an apartment? Even selling their retirement package would be better then ending in a pine box when you cant spend it.

It is probably nobody would take your friend seriously because of the choices he made Basically by showing a phase 1 saftey study anyone with 1/2 a clue can get funding for stage 2 effectiveness study of a small terminal sample.

Archived