Chiang Mai on 500k baht a year ?

gobbledonk

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Screw it - after thinking about what it would be like to try to live on that sort of money, I'm just going to have to grin and bear the insufferable yoke of a wage slave a few more miserable years.

I guess, you question is can you do it on 500K Baht a year.

Answer: Yes

Retiring On $500 A Month

Retire on $550 a month

Basic Cost of Living in Chiang Mai

For me, a Million Baht would be do-able, plus extras of a new car there, for 10 months per year, and international travel for the other 2.

Screw it - after thinking about what it would be like to try to live on that sort of money' date=' I'm just going to have to grin and bear the insufferable yoke of a wage slave a few more miserable years. [/quote']

I guess, you question is can you do it on 500K Baht a year.

Answer: Yes

Retiring On $500 A Month

Retire on $550 a month

Basic Cost of Living in Chiang Mai

For me, a Million Baht would be do-able, plus extras of a new car there, for 10 months per year, and international travel for the other 2.

A little misinformation in the "Retire for $500" link...things like "Rayong is 1.5 hours by plane from Bangkok" (by single-engine Cessna?!) and "when you get on a Songthaew [in Khon Kaen], tell the driver your destination"...haha, do that, and you've just chartered the Songthaew for yourself...

500K / Year or approx 45K / Month.

When I lived in Thailamd and took a few months out between projects I was probably spending less not out of necessity it was just the chilled out way I relaxed.

But my circumstances were differant, House and Cars paid for, Insurance premoums for cars and health paid up in dull during the period I was earning so basically the 45K went on ytility bills, food, beer and fags and the occasonal night out.

As a single man having to pay rent and living in a sing;e room studio I would not even consider it, there is no point in wasting the years when you are your peak earming capacity living nothong more than a subsistance life.

Knuckle down and crank up the Baht Machine and in a few years time you will be happy that you did.

I don't think I could survive for 2 months on 500K in Singapore, minimum of 150K / Month for a decent apartment and the 1,000 SGD (22.5 K Baht) ATM withdrawal wont last much longer than 5 days if you are lucky,

Nearer to 500k a month than a year me thinks for a decent lifestyle. Though as Mekong said, if a car and house are paid for and insurances, accruals for big ticket items are taken care of, money for holidays and back home travel is sorted etc. then you don't need that much.

You still need walking around money though and plenty of it if you are out on the prowl and single.

All these threads about what it costs to live in Thailand are rather like asking how longs a piece of string? Different people have different lifestyles and expectations.

I do however find myself somewhat bemused by the must have figures touted by some posters. They are often as much or more to live in a developing country where many people still earn less than 10k baht a month than the majority of people in the UK take home and have a modest but comfortable standard of living?

Simie.

If the average household income in Thailand is around 30 k/month then surely a single farang should be able to live on 45 k/month.However I dont think this amount would be enough to run a vehicle ( unless its one one those paddy field diesel rotovators :hubba: )or have a lavish lifestyle.

I would personally think the average wage in Thailand is a lot closer my figure of 10k a month than 30k?

I as well as others have noticed the increase in prices in Bangkok etc in recent years but theres a big difference between living a normal life and being out every night on holiday. And I still think some of the grand figures touted by some posters are ludicrous in the sense of a must have income unless one intended to try and live as if you where on holiday every day?

Simie.

p.s. I just noticed you said "household" income rather than individual, so slightly different.

Archived