General Legal/Marital question

Coss

I thank all who have contributed to this topic and there is a wealth of knowledge in some of the answers.

So, let me rephrase the original question.

What if I get a "power of attorney" that abrogates my interest in and assigns her ownership of the cars, house and it's contents?

Can I not do this at a Lawyer, nail it to the front door with an eight inch spike and catch the next plane?

:)

Coss

Any person may prepare a power of attorney to appoint another as their attorney to execute documents on their behalf.

The attorney may be an irrevocable authority.

In most [western] jurisdictions however, an endurable authority (the power to make decisions when the donee [you] has health or mental issues preventing you from terminating a given authority of attorney. This is required to be witnessed by a solicitor who is required to witness it, in a prescribed format, due to the nature of the beast and its ramifications.

No one is required to accept an attorney, and an attorney may be terminated at any time.

Also an attorney is required to act for someone for that person's benefit, sort of or like, a quasi trustee. Accordingly, even though in theory they [the attorney] can sign away all of your property and run away with it, if caught at a later date, and having assets, the donee [you] may make a claim against the attorney's estate/property. However, if they act in good faith, make bad decisions and loose it all, the donee [you] does not have much hope to get anything back :beer:

Coss, would it just not be easy to just tell the missus you are running off to China to become a monk :beer:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived