Revenge of the Nerds

Steve

Caltech ends 310-game conference losing streak

Caltech ended its 310-game conference losing streak in men's basketball Tuesday night, beating Occidental College 46-45 in its season finale.

Ryan Elmquist hit the go-ahead free throw with 3 seconds left for the Division III Beavers, who had lost every Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference game they had played since Jan. 23, 1985.

"I hope that everyone who has participated in Caltech men's basketball is able to celebrate a little bit tonight," Caltech coach Oliver Eslinger said. "We still have goals and aspirations that we want to accomplish as a program, and this win is another step towards meeting these objectives."

Caltech is a famed private research university with a heavy emphasis on science and engineering. The school has just 950 undergraduates and doesn't give out athletic scholarships, but 31 alumni and faculty have won the Nobel Prize.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110223/ap_on_sp_co_ne/bkc_caltech_s_streak

I guarantee you most of the student body a) doesn't even know they have a basketball team and B) english is their 2nd language.

sorry for the semi racist comment. :nahnah:

"I hope that everyone who has participated in Caltech men's basketball is able to celebrate a little bit tonight," Caltech coach Oliver Eslinger said. "We still have goals and aspirations that we want to accomplish as a program, and this win is another step towards meeting these objectives."

I love the quotes above...particularly about goals and aspirations; like, find the gym and being able to put a ball in the hoop? :rotl::rotl::rotl:

I got a friend who graduated from Oxy. Boy, is he gonna here it from me now. 5555555555555

I'm not so sure about the enrollment makeup of CalTech. That is, the number of foreign students there. They are certainly bright guys and gals. It's probably more difficult to get into CT than it is MIT. CT is very heavily connected to the Jet Propulsion Lab...and, of course, is always consulted when earthquakes rock the state.

I remember a stut pulled off doing a Rose Bowl game decades ago. "Fantastic" would be the only way to describe it. LOL http://today.caltech.edu/today/story-display.tcl?story_id=11423

Archived