Cock Fighting in Isaan

panadolsandwich

I was horrified to see the terrible, illegal sport of cock fighting in Isaan last week. There are normally forty drunk men standing in a ring watching the man whilst as many as ten male chickens are thrown in. He must despatch them in as short a time as possible.

There is gambling involved and many a family is left destitute after a single session when unwise bets are collected by the unrelenting local mafia.

It’s not unheard of to see a man die cock fighting. I’ve been told by a fighter whom by his own conservative estimate has pulped over four thousand cocks, that when fighting a chicken, it can somehow seem larger than a man.

And there is money in it – if you’re good. There’s other perks as well. The Thai women – they fancy you if they see you kicking the shit out of a chicken.

Apparently they pump the cocks full of rat hormones to make them more aggressive. Some people say the sport started when a man whom couldn't afford to pay for his Pad Kapow Gai Kai Dao went on a killing spree which was entirely excusable.

You can tell where a cock fighter lives by the large statue of a chicken at the front of his house. Personally I’d like to see this kind of thing stamped out, but in Thailand I suppose money talks – and the story it tells is that the cock fighting will continue unabated.

Shame, shame, shame.

I found cock fighting interesting in Isaan. In the USA they fight till one cock is dead. The fights I have seen in Isaan are not like that. They clean up their respective cocks and take them home.

You know... I am from The South, and I have never heard of the game the OP talked about. You?

A human fights the bird? How do you get the birds to attack a man....?

I found cock fighting interesting in Isaan. In the USA they fight till one cock is dead. The fights I have seen in Isaan are not like that. They clean up their respective cocks and take them home.

You know... I am from The South' date=' and I have never heard of the game the OP talked about. You?

A human fights the bird? How do you get the birds to attack a man....?[/quote']

Rat hormones, and various other steroids and uppers make the chickens extremely aggressive. It's a closely guarded secret exactly what chemicals are used but as always nothing goes to waste and the fresh kill is grilled on a spit that supposedly cooks the chemicals out, but it's not uncommon for men to think they've actually become a chicken and mimic the behavior owing to the residue chemicals.

It's said one cock can kill a man just from it's stare of evil intent - but that is most likely an animistic belief based on an inner guilt touchstone.