Cock Fighting in Isaan

panadolsandwich

Sorry guys, had a wee tipple last night and jesus christ am I, oh jesus christ am I paying for it now. I bought this stuff called heng and it's supposed to put paid to a hangover, but all I want is fish and chips and a kip that lasts a few days but I'm stuck here in the remotest part of Isaan for now until I can stomach the drive out of her. I'm even thinking of setting up a saline drip for myself; never again...

Have never seen steel spurs in cock fights in Thailand. But I suspect our resident story teller was inspired by this:

Man Dies After Being Stabbed by Fighting Chicken

Monday, February 7, 2011 at 1:18PM Share Article

Photo Courtesy - Getty Images/File Photo

(EARLIMART, Calif.) -- A man was stabbed and killed in Earlimart. His attacker, however, wasn’t a human -- it was a fighting chicken.

Authorities say the incident happened on January 30 at a venue in the vicinity of Avenue 24 and Road 128 Tulare County. Investigators say a chicken with a blade attached to its leg reportedly stabbed 35-year-old Jose Luis Ochoa in the calf. The armed rooster is believed to have been used for fighting. Authorities say Ochoa was rushed to Delano Regional Medical Center, where he later died. An autopsy report found that Ochoa died as a result of an injury to his right calf, according to a report by the Bakersfield Californian.

Authorities reportedly found evidence of cockfighting at the location, however, it is unknown if a cockfight was in progress when the incident occurred.

• 8 years later...

Sorry old thread, but I was reminded of it by this news article:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/22/india/rooster-cockfight-death-intl-hnk-scli/index.html

Indian man dies after getting attacked by his rooster on their way to a cockfight

By Esha Mitra, CNN

Updated 0359 GMT (1159 HKT) January 23, 2020

New Delhi (CNN)An Indian man has died after a tussle with his rooster -- on their way to a cockfight.

"Saripalli Chanavenkateshwaram Rao, 50, was hit in the neck with a blade tied to the rooster's claw on January 15. A police spokesman told CNN the father of three was taken to hospital, where he later died from a stroke.
Rao, who lived in Pragadavaram village in southern India's Andhra Pradesh state, was a regular at local cockfights, and was on his way to enter the rooster in a competition when it tried to break free, station house officer Kranti Kumar said.
Cockfighting has been illegal in India since 1960. However, animal fighting continues to be a problem in the country, according to Gauri Maulekhi, trustee for India's People for Animals foundation.
"The offenses have been made very clear and explained to the district and state authorities, but they choose to turn a blind eye towards it. It is not just for entertainment that these animals are made to fight, but it is (also) due to the heavy betting and gambling that goes on in the garb of these events," Maulekhi said.
Kumar said the local cockfight went ahead without any arrests.
A 2014 Supreme Court judgment clarified the illegality of animal fighting under India's Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act. In 2015, Maulekhi used that judgment to intervene in a state court petition to lift the ban on cockfighting -- and the ban was upheld.
"I don't think culture has anything to do with it -- it is purely a money game and hysteria takes over, reason and logic just take a back seat such that neither the animal's welfare nor the people's welfare is enough to stop it," Maulekhi said."

Well, well, eerie parallels.