I'm ready for your apologies :)

I cant find the thread (!), but a couple of years back I predicted the rise of China as an economic superpower.

At the time, I didnt think this was a particularly bold 'prediction' as many pundits were already pointing out the leaps that China had made in the previous ten years, but my prediction was greeted with skepticism/derision by several on this board. The reasoning came thick and fast:

- China didnt have the fundamentals to join Western countries at the top of the economic ladder - a few factories and a cheap workforce doesnt equate to a 'superpower'

- Chinese trade and labour practices were abhorrent, and Western companies would only get burnt in any dealings with the Chinese.

- the potential for political instability was just too high, particularly given the endemic corruption among officials at every level and the poverty in rural areas

Of course, all of that was before the GFC, and I dont completely disagree with any of the above (particularly the political instability issue), but its still not too late to start learning Mandarin, chaps :)

Gobble the Seer

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I cant find the thread (!), but a couple of years back I predicted the rise of China as an economic superpower.

At the time, I didn't think this was a particularly bold 'prediction' ...

Gobble the Seer

As you said, it was not bold, nor insightful :beer:

It was predictable, and was a long time coming. The same logic as the economic boom in India, to many people, so many consumers, simple economics :beer:

Good that you took the debate as healthy and remained on this board :beer:

I cant find the thread (!)' date=' but a couple of years back [b']I predicted the rise of China as an economic superpower[/b].

At the time, I didn't think this was a particularly bold 'prediction' ...

Gobble the Seer

As you said, it was not bold, nor insightful :beer:

It was predictable, and was a long time coming. The same logic as the economic boom in India, to many people, so many consumers, simple economics :beer:

Good that you took the debate as healthy and remained on this board :beer:

I only come back to apologise, so I figure I have one coming :)

Now if only I had been able to predict the rise and fall of the Celtic Tiger ....

IMHO, both China & India need to work on keeping the electricity on for more than 24 hours straight before thinking about becoming economic superpowers.

Just sayin'...

China has just announced that its foreign trade shall be done exclusively with the Yuan, beginning this year.

This is almost probably the beginning of the end of the USD as the leading world currency. We are looking forward to a stormy year in international trade in regard to the USD.

:surprised:

Guest lazyphil

fark we're givin india economic aid via the taxpayer and they ave' a fookin space program. we have fireworks november 5th lol

Guest lazyphil

if they're so fucking full on successful economic power house why dont they give us money. china too i think we give aid too......totally fucking weird!

Archived