Oz Rugby League

gekko

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
anyone know which bars in sukhumvit area show the NRL games from australia - season starts on friday and keen to watch the games!!!

Update:

I have just contacted the Australian network, noting that no NRL games were scheduled on their TV guide. It would appear that they will not broadcast NRL games, nor Super 15 matches (not that the later worries me at all). It appears the NRL asked for to much deniro, damn greedy bastards.

The AFL will be broadcast, talk about letting another code make inroads into your product.

NRL will be shown on Setana sports, so, let's hope some bars pay for the fee :beer:

Update No. 2:

I have contacted the NRL about overseas coverage, it appears that they will make an announcement today, or tomorrow on www.nrl.com.au as to live streaming of the game ... I would imagine, at a cost :beer:

If it is anything like the NFL product, it should be great :beer:

I've decided to back the Cronulla Sharks this year, given that my patronage of the Knights seemed to push them further down the ladder each year after their historic Grand Final win against those bastard Sea Eagles. End of the day, most of them are highly-paid thugs who would be driving trucks if they couldnt play footy, but its still a lot more entertaining than cricket and Thugby.

I like me footy, footy good, but rugby league players must rate as some of the dumbest bastards known to humanity :beer:

Link

LOVE heart, a family gesture or sheer irresponsibility? Few people can claim they haven't played up for a group photo but the pranks turned a little sour for the NRL's gangsta wannabes yesterday.

Manly Sea Eagles powerhouse Tony Williams was reprimanded for displaying hand symbols that are linked to American rap gangs while posing for a Sea Eagles team photo published in The Daily Telegraph this week.

Three other players are under scrutiny for similar hand gestures that appear to be gang or tribal-related.

Some may think the gestures were merely harmless fun but yesterday it set off the dog whistles in the land of talkback and through the NRL clubs involved.

Williams admitted to Manly officials that his hand signal was based on those used by the notorious Eastside and Westside rap gangs in the US.

Sydney Roosters players Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and Mose Masoe were yesterday investigated over hand signals in the Roosters' team photo but club officials claimed there was "nothing sinister".

Canterbury player Junior Tia-Kilifi was also caught displaying a hand gesture in the Bulldogs' team photo.

"I didn't know what the sign meant but we have spoken to Tony and told him it is unacceptable," senior Manly official Peter Peters said.

"Tony accepted that. They [the signs] will no longer be seen in any Manly team photos."

A former detective took a hard line on the pranks, insisting players who use finger signs to promote gangs were "idiots who should grow up".

Dr Michael Kennedy, a former police detective who is now a senior lecturer of policing at the University of Western Sydney, was angered by the players' actions."It says more about their intellectual capacity than their football ability," he said. "They are idiots. It is superficial crap. These guys aren't gangsters. The Polynesian culture identifies with the rap and gangster stuff. With celebrity status comes responsibility. They should grow up."Roosters CEO Steve Noyce stressed Waerea-Hargreaves and Masoe were not promoting gangs.

"Jared said it is a symbol that represents his family," Noyce said.

"There is nothing sinister. And Mose just said he was relaxing his hand."

Penrith hooker Masada Iosefa was also photographed showing a hand symbol but told Panthers officials that it was simply a love heart.

NRL chief executive David Gallop said players had to be careful their actions were not misinterpreted."Players need to be careful that things they do are not misinterpreted but equally they are entitled to not be criticised if their intentions are innocent."

Archived