Anthony Bourdain in Laos

gobbledonk

Not too keen on intestines at the best of times, but leaving the contents intact is crazy, IMO - there is a biological reason why most of us dont (knowingly) eat shit. Except in the metaphorical sense, of course, every Monday morning when we return to our wage slave existences.

I thought the 'mysterious' angle was a bit of a stretch too, and he really overdid the apology to a local in Luang Prabang after they filmed the faithful giving alms to monks - this wasnt some faraway village in the hills.

I still prefer his sarcastic travelogues - this ep was far too 'cap in hand'.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On intestines... traveled a bit through Asia some years back and prided (?) myself on being able to eat anything... TWO things stopped me... Pig's nostrils - simply because they were in a bain marie at the time all steamed up and the steam made them look like they were sprouting snot.. Just couldn't do it... and INTESTINES - put simply... they tasted like shit.

Bourdain is an asshole, not a fan at all. Tried to watch his show a few times because of my travel interest but he always comes off like a jerk!

Wow. Dawg, how can you NOT like Bourdain? He's just a regular dude. A normal guy. I'd hang out and drink with him in a heartbeat (and I normally hate, or at least am unimpressed by, Hollywood types).

I'll also say that his local scoop, however he comes by it, is pretty damn good. Mrs LK & I have been to three "untraveled" countries -- by at least one of us -- where we did the "local food stall" bit of his show and agree that those places were well recommended. They were, in our opinion, yummy food and fun to hang at. What more can you ask? YMMV?

To me, he is a guy who tells the truth. I know that not all can handle that. But I'd rather have a brutally honest guy to talk to, even if that comes off as "asshole-ish" (like my personality for instance, which I know fucks people off but I don't care LOL!), than someone who blows sunshine up yer arse and therefore you can't trust them. With the former, there is always a conversation available. The later is just a "yes-man" you can never trust.

Once again, YMMV. But do me a favour. Look up Bourdain's background (not a great article, just the 1st one I came across). Quite similar to our "old pal" here FlyOnZeWall. And the same "weaknesses," if you want to call it that. Regardless, it is what it is and as an adult I give both the same kudos for conquering it.

Hence my admiration...

well said... He drinks , smokes and tells it like it is... as far as travel/food writers, he's the only one who makes it interesting, unless your into the rainbow and daisey straight as an arrow bullshit fruitloop type of host on every other Martha Stewart show .

Bourdain is an asshole, not a fan at all. Tried to watch his show a few times because of my travel interest but he always comes off like a jerk!

S1

I like him. He's down to earth and very New York. He's also a working chef.

And unlike many food critics out there, if you had the balls to say the above to his face (I'm betting you DON'T), he would stomp the fuck out of you, hahaha!!

I like Bourdain, although since he quit smoking, got married and had kids the show hasn't really been the same IMO.

The episode in Laos is from a few years back. He's been to Thailand and Vietnam a couple times, and the show coming up next week is in Cambodia.

I like Bourdain, although since he quit smoking, got married and had kids the show hasn't really been the same IMO.

Clearly, there is a niche for a hard-living, single guy with a knack for sarcasm. Maybe this will be Charlie Sheen's next gig, if he survives long enough.

• 3 weeks later...
Bourdain is an asshole' date=' not a fan at all. Tried to watch his show a few times because of my travel interest but he always comes off like a jerk!

S1[/quote']

I like him. He's down to earth and very New York. He's also a working chef.

And unlike many food critics out there, if you had the balls to say the above to his face (I'm betting you DON'T), he would stomp the fuck out of you, hahaha!!

Mr. P

You obviously don’t know me that would be a bad bet for you!!! :neener: hahaha

Archived