HCMC - help :)

gobbledonk

Hi All,

I'm going to broaden my horizons and (finally) travel to VN this year. My sister told me she preferred the South, but I suspect she is from an era where they view the word 'communist' very dimly. She thinks South VN has a different government to North VN - what can I say ?

Any feedback welcome - looking at maps of HCMC thus far have only confused me, but I'm sure I will get my bearings when I get there.

Gobble

Actually the culture is still today different north vrs south. The south is closer to and more open to western culture. In my experience even things like hotel and restaurant service in the south were better, plus more nightlife (though nothing like Thailand).

Yes, the south is much more friendly and outgoing, though I do like the north as well, they actually have a sense of style up there...one should see both.

Forget about any sort of nightlife in the north. And yeah, as far as nightlife in the south, "nothing like Thailand" turns out to be a vast understatement, haha...

I've read the reports of 'sting' operations where you find yourself in a room with a girl and a cop demanding money, but I've been to several places in Asia where there was no P4P - I can live with that as long as there is something to see other than the local womenfolk. I've seen the usual travelogues, although the focus of late has been on the blatant way some Vietnamese advertise bear bile and other Chinese medicine that involves cruelty to animals. Doesnt seem to matter how many scientists tell these people that rhino horn is made of the same stuff as your toenails, middle-aged Chinese are still convinced that it will give them a boner. And in the age of Vitamin V to boot ....

• 1 month later...
Guest HonoluluJimmy

IK would be very careful. I stayed in a 5* hotel and fournd the massage girl to be quite nice. Day one I hopped on the table and she did the usual little moves to see what I wanted. After she got to work and I did the roman hands event she seemed to be ok with my getting off her uniform.. The table was extra large so that was kinda of a hint but but when she was naked her wisper was, I have condom... Safe, mai pang, and a lovele girl. I had a 4pm appointment every day. Seems that something is offered in most massage places. I spoke to some gents in the lounge who said the M Palace down the street was FS... Mai Pen Rai... I was in love!

For sightseeing, the north has the mountains around Sapa, Halong Bay and Hanoi all worth a visit. IMO the people and atmosphere in Hanoi is in general not as friendly to foreigners, authorities flex their muscle more publicly (it's not that they're communist, it's that they're much more authoritarian up there), and I'd go as far as to say there's more xenophobia -- on the part of the govt in the north and the people too -- but not from everyone you meet of course. You're much more likely to catch flak up there for being with a Vietnamese girl -- which is a non-issue in HCMC. The country's centre has a few good spots for sightseeing, namely Hue/Danang/Hoi An (all 3 fairly close together). For action that area is bad -- Danang has just some at very inflated prices in discos, and thats it. Zero in other spots in that region. For sights, the south has HCMC, Nhatrang, Dalat, Phu Quoc island and the Mekong Delta, and HCMC is the only place for action (for a tourist that is) -- and it's vastly better than anywhere else in the country for that, in terms of price, quantity and quality. For just a typical see-everything-for-a few-days-each type trip from top to bottom (or vice versa), a month would do it.

Re sting operations, those aren't too common in HCMC, and normally would happen with a girl picked up on the street or on back of a motorbike, and usually when the price quoted seems way too little for what they're offering. Picking up girls in the (in)famous billiard bars downtown (where every girl is available to visit your hotel) or freelancers in discos, you don't need to worry about something like that. When it all gets added up, you're probably paying $100 or more for her company at your hotel in these venues. Cheaper does exist, but not too accessible for someone visiting the first time, short-term.

Archived