Meltdown Likely Under Way At Japan Nuclear Reactor

ozpharlap

I said it before and I will say it again.....there is a major issue here we are not being told about possibly due to a fear of panic.

Mark my words from a couple of days ago...2 large explosions cannot be good.

I hope I am wrong but my instinct tells me otherwise.

I'll bet 37 barfines that I am correct, plus the compensation to the recipients thereof. That's ~B97k.

Call it B100K. You in? You've two hours to respond, as the situ "changes fast" per the "Chicken Little" press...

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now they are talking melt downs of four reactors!

Farkin hell, my GE stock is falling into the toilet!

Of course it is all about me!!!

On a serious note, having Japanese in/out laws, I feel the pain Japan is going thru.

They have upgraded the incidents to a 6 out of a possible 7.

Looks like a major disaster.

Fukushima nuke plant situation 'worsened considerably'

The situation at the quake-hit Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant in northeastern Japan ''has worsened considerably,'' the Institute for Science and International Security said in a statement released Tuesday.

Referring to fresh explosions that occurred earlier in the day at the site and problems in a pool storing spent nuclear fuel rods, the Washington-based think tank said, ''This accident can no longer be viewed as a level 4 on the International Nuclear and Radiological Events scale that ranks events from 1 to 7.''

Noting that a level 4 incident involves ''only local radiological consequences,'' it said the ongoing crisis is ''now closer to a level 6, and it may unfortunately reach a level 7'' -- a worst case scenario with extensive health and environmental consequences.

''The international community should increase assistance to Japan to both contain the emergency at the reactors and to address the wider contamination. We need to find a solution together,'' it said.

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/78374.html

Fukushima: Mark 1 Nuclear Reactor Design Caused GE Scientist To Quit In Protest

Thirty-five years ago, Dale G. Bridenbaugh and two of his colleagues at General Electric resigned from their jobs after becoming increasingly convinced that the nuclear reactor design they were reviewing - the Mark 1 - was so flawed it could lead to a devastating accident.

Questions persisted for decades about the ability of the Mark 1 to handle the immense pressures that would result if the reactor lost cooling power, and today that design is being put to the ultimate test in Japan. Five of the six reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi plant, which has been wracked since Friday's earthquake with explosions and radiation leaks, are Mark 1s.

"The problems we identified in 1975 were that, in doing the design of the containment, they did not take into account the dynamic loads that could be experienced with a loss of coolant," Bridenbaugh told ABC News in an interview. "The impact loads the containment would receive by this very rapid release of energy could tear the containment apart and create an uncontrolled release."

The situation on the ground at the Fukushima Daiichi plant is so fluid, and the details of what is unfolding are so murky, that it may be days or even weeks before anyone knows how the Mark 1 containment system performed in the face of a devastating combination of natural disasters.

More

Archived