Boatbuilding/owning Thailand

White Lotus

Subject; Boat building/boat ownership,for foreigners in Thailand. This note is prompted by the exchange between the "Dreamer",who muses about owning a Wooden Boat ! In Thailand,good for him,and those ever vocal doubting Thomases ,always quick to pour cold water on the Dreamers dream. I am a Dreamer,with the same dream of boaters everywhere. A beautiful boat on a calm,sunny sea. It's all here,at Koh Sichang,Thailand.....I am a little further along than some other Dreamers,as we laid the keel for our Dream Boat some 3 years ago,and in 3 weeks we intend to launch her at Bang Pra, Chonburi,Thailand. She is "White Lotus",all wood hull,house and deck. Diesel powered,and will cruise for less than $5.00/hr fuel cost.Posting pictures as soon as I learn how. Bon vive to all! Hartley Bushell,aka,White Lotus.

Well done! :thumbup:

Read Harold Stephens books in which he tells about building his concrete hull schooner here. Years later, it was wrecked in a storm ih Hawaii when he was away and was salvaged by someone else - who is now sailing it. A few years ago Stephens was planning to build another, but apparently gave up the idea since he is well into his 80s. (He's a WWII vet.)

• 2 weeks later...

Three years and finally in the water.. That's great. Post some pics if you can. Also, I'm up in Bangkok and have considered having a hull built here in Asia. How did you make out with your local builder, cost, quality, etc? Any info would be great: florida458@yahoo.com

• 1 month later...

I had a dream, got a fiberglass boat built in Pattaya, almost lost my sanity during the process...Now after two seasons of doing more than 100 fishing trips with tourists, would I do it if I knew everything what's going to happen after signing that contract with the boat builder...No, but I'm happy I did it then, the dream became reality.

Trooper, sounds like you've done the whole deal, it'd be an interesting story if you could be persuaded to post it. I'd certainly be interested to read all about it.

Would you be able to tell us all about it?

It's not interesting story if I don't tell all the things what has happened (which I don't do in open forum) but to put it short, I finally got the boat 10 months late from what we had agreed on the contract so when deciding to getting a boat built remeber that contracts are just ink on the paper in Thailand. I got away with it easily, I know many who have lost fortunes in boat building deals.

Mine is just 36 feet open tour boat with small cabin and canvas roof, but very suitable for fishing and snorkeling trips in Mu Koh Chang.

Actually what got my interest in White Lotus is the fuel cost. Even my boat, which should be very economic takes around 8 liters of diesel/hour at 8-9 knots cruising speed so I'd be very interested to see a wooden boat that runs for 5 liters.

Wooden boats are absolutely stunning but knowing many who own one, everybody are complaining about high maintenance costs and the work those boats require every year.

For the interested, check this website www.kohchanggamefishing.com

Archived