US 'kill team' in Afghanistan posed for photos of murdered civili

Flashermac

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of excuses. If you follow comments on yahoo you'll see they range from 'war is hell' to 'a few renegade soldiers' to 'don't expect combat troops to do peace keeping' to 'ragheads are garbage'.

The original story surfaced in 2010. The army managed to keep the photographs out of it but it seems Der Speigel has copies.

I'm glad that you know so much more about went on in South Vietnam than I do. But I only spent 13 months in a combat unit in the Central Highlands. WTF do I know.

@Unit731 - story from last year, but now the photos are coming out and being published. Papers are calling it Obama Graib.

I would think a lot of people here would be very proud and impressed with this part of the OP report.....

Some of the activities of the self-styled "kill team" are already public, with 12 men currently on trial in Seattle for their role in the killing of three civilians.

Five of the soldiers are on trial for pre-meditated murder, after they staged killings to make it look like they were defending themselves from Taliban attacks.

Other charges include the mutilation of corpses, the possession of images of human casualties and drug abuse.

Precisely! Quite a contrast to WWII - when General Patton deliberately destroyed evidence he was presented of some GIs murdering German and Italian prisoners and civilians. Patton's logic was ... trying the killers won't bring back the dead and it could hurt the war effort.

BTW Hanoi used terror against civilians as a tactic (straight out of Mao), as do the Taliban. But we are supposed to be better than that. Otherwise, why are why there?

You're gonna have rogue elements in any army of size. Problem is it will be used by the enemy as well as those against the war or war in general as if its the norm rather than the rare exception.

If its true, then they should be tried to the fullest extent. Not sure what would prompt them for pre-meditated murder but if they can do it on the field of battle there is no reason to believe they wouldn't try it in civilian life as well.

I remember watching a psychologist being interviewed on TV years ago about 1LT Calley and his platoon (My Lai). The shrink was saying that people become criminals (if they are ever going to) at a certain age, which happens to be the same as military age. Thus it is not surprising that such things happen, when those people are heavily armed and think they can get away with something. They are not much different from the gangs such as the Bloods and Crips - except they are in uniform.

Rather a disheartening evaluation of human nature. :(

I'm glad that you know so much more about went on in South Vietnam than I do. But I only spent 13 months in a combat unit in the Central Highlands. WTF do I know.

@Unit731 - story from last year, but now the photos are coming out and being published. Papers are calling it Obama Graib.

Even today people deny the My Lai Massacre ever happen. It was only a small bunch of people mostly old men, women and children totaling about 350 - 500 people.

It took one and a half years before it became news.

Some people considered Second Lieutenant William Calley a hero.

Considering his 'punishment', I would say the government 'almost' approved of what he did.

Archived