"I don't respect Asians" - US VP Joe Biden

Gadfly

Joe Biden didn’t say this. But Suthep, the Deputy Prime Minister of Thailand did say : ''I don't respect farangs,''

Check it out. in the Bangkok Post.

And this is not at unusual. He and other powerful Thais say this sort of stuff all of the time.

Now imagine if America’s Vice President, Joe Biden, said something like that. For example, “I don’t respect Asiansâ€. “I don’t respect Blacks.†There would be domestic and global outrage. He wouldn’t be Vice President long.

This is not intended to be a rant fest, but rather a reality check. Racism is rampant and accepted as a norm in Thailand. Not just in the lower classes, but among the political elite. It’s not even recognized for what it is.

Suthep, whose family has been implicated in the palm oil scandal, can get away with making these sorts of outrageously racist statements without condemnation or comment by other members of the ruling class. And he is a senior leader in the enlightened globally minded Democrat party.

This speaks volumes about Thai culture. You're not imagining double standards when you are dealing with local officials and institutions. Your seeing things for what they are.

I think it's time we started calling these guys for what they are and this stuff for what is really is. Forget the "your guests here" crap. Tell the truth for a change.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good comparison between Suthep and Joe Biden. Biden is a complete ass too. :(

Suthep is thoroughly hated by the proles here - and considered the one who really runs the country. Taxi drivers and market folks will all tell you that Abhisit takes his orders from Suthep.

Guest lazyphil

the duke of edinburgh (queenies hubby) is a figurehead of the uk and commenwealth and has dropped some clangers.....slitty eyed chinese being one, google prince philip gaffs and plenty of non pc stuff will abound!

I did google the duke of edinburgh and cam up with this one; "Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh are third cousins, sharing Queen Victoria as a great-great-grandmother."

That helps explain many of Charles and Philip's comments. I think its long overdue to open up the gene pool possibilities of potential royal marriage partners.

I remember a few years ago Prince Philip opening the new wing of a hospital. There was a light switch that was crooked, Prince Philip commented "My god, that switch looks like it was put in by an Indian" haha

As Gadfly says, racism is rampant here (especially in public institutions), now I just accept it for what it is. The longer I live here, the more I see what pathetic xenophobic creatures most Thais really are (under the cloak of that Thai smirk).

It is still socially acceptable to cheat a "stupid farang" - it's just a matter of whether it bothers you or not as I don't expect it to change anytime soon - YMMV.

Cheers

One thing worth noting is the quote from Suthep is a translation of something he said in Thai about having the EU or Western NGO election monitors in the upcoming elections. The Asia Free Election Network (ANFREL) has monitored the past elections and is planning on doing so for this one.

You may recall the furor about his “running into bullets†quote which turned out to be not so cut and dried in the translation.

There is little doubt that many Thais are very sensitive about their sovereignty and often politicians make what sounds like very xenophobic or racist comments to play to that.

Considering the considerable farang paranoia you see on the Thai forums, there is little wonder such comments raise the ire of many. The comment above “It is still socially acceptable to cheat a "stupid farangâ€â€ is the classic example of this.

Th

Archived