"I don't respect Asians" - US VP Joe Biden

Gadfly

Paranoid and ire

Maybe for some - nor for me, and I didn't intend it to sound that way. It doesn't make me angry (any more), I just accept that the majority of Thais will attempt to cheat me given the opportunity, especially in business. My experience has been that kindness is seen as weakness, and I gave up long ago on trying to cultivate relationships/friendships with Thais.

To be fair though, they try to cheat each other as well, but a foreigner is seen as an easier target (no "influence" hence much smaller chance of repercussions, loss of face etc). It is quite sad but "just the way it is". There are probably some guys out there who have lovely genuine Thai friends (or at least think they do), that has not been my experience though - again YMMV.

Edit to clarify - by "cheat" I mean a multitude of things including overcharging etc, perhaps it's the lady in the shop charging you 10 baht for a bottle of water instead of 8, the taxi going a longer route, or the bargirl taking the lovesick tourist to the cleaners or the guy in the land office issuing fake chanotes to foreigners wives - all degrees of the same thing.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the term "friends" I mean outside of family or work, where both parties have no hidden agenda and sincerely enjoy each others company - not "friendships of convenience", of those there are plenty between Thais and foreigners. Both parties are not always aware of the "of convenience" bit though.

No doubt there will be some people having nice BBQ's with Somsak the neighbour and talking about football and cars, but even then on closer inspection there will probably be an Amway sticker in the back window of Somsaks Vios.

I think it is probably a byproduct of the Thai social system where there is no provision for foreigners standing in the pecking order, plus lack of colonisation and foreign influence on things like the education system, and the blind faith of the "Thai no. 1" indoctrination means that the overwhelming majority of "normal" Thais (ie. not overseas educated etc) struggle with the whole concept of foreigners and the world they represent and are so ignorant and brainwashed that they could not form a genuine friendship with a foreigner even if they wanted to.

Cheers

Guest lazyphil

well, i enjoy going to los to avoid feminazis, pc correct brigade and h&s zealots....i can live with being a unliked farang if i'm left to my own devices. beats the hell out of engurlund.

Guest lazyphil

never was a fan of aspects such as i cite and the trash celebrity culture we have, but firmly enjoy other aspects, warm beer, north norfolk, peak district, long summer days, visiting national trust castles (did i just say that!), fishing on our lovely rivers, hiking in the national parks that kind of thing......its a tight rope, i grant you that!

Recently on a trip with my mum to many national parks, I got the usual "Thai" price, quite nicely, the Thai's where all very impressed with my mum being 86 and walking up water falls in national parks etc, so gave her thai rates as well!

The PRIVATE places suck, much harder to get Thai prices, even though I've paid far more tax than majority of Thais ever will.

Archived