"I don't respect Asians" - US VP Joe Biden

Gadfly

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<< And you'd rule out 2 of my grandparents. >>

I'd rule out all 4 of mine. But they were born at the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century.

So where am I supposed to meet these proles? At work? (Who ... the cleaning staff?) Where would I meet them outside of work ... the market? bars? driving taxis? They aren't my neighbours by and large - though I'm friends with a former taxi driver who lives near me. We are both VN vets and we can talk about that!

:dunno:

Ps. Kidding aside - I get your point (people congregate with what they are familiar with) and I know you didn't mean it mean-spirited, but would you *really* rule out a potential friend due to their progress in educational institutions? I've never found them to be an apt marker of intelligence or quality.

Agreed.

Education and intelligence really don't have that much in common.

Much, I think has to do with happy or angry people. Happy people seem to have way more friends than angry people.

Soci-economics may play a role in friends. Ethnicity for some plays a large role. Age similarity may play a role.

My close friends either have the same education level as myself or they are from the same village I grew up in. And most of my friends are long term friends - many decades.

How much does trust play with a friendship?

And then the question: What is a friend?

Lucky for Joe he didn't say that, as that's almost a guarantee that he'd be about to get bit by the Asian bug, two years later we'd be able to find him negotiating a tragic deal on a beer bar in Pattaya for his new tiraak, on his fourteenth trip to LOS... Happened to me (sort of): growing up in a rural all-white town in the US northeast, my only impression of Asians was the media stereotype: study hard, work hard, all look the same, basically robots from a Japanese assembly line. I clearly remember thinking I really didn't want to go to university in California, because what a drag it would be to be surrounded by thousands of Asian students grinding away... and now look at me, what's better than a few drunken hours whiled away at AfterSkool?! "I don't like Asians/I don't respect Asians" clearly in mind back then, 20 years ago -- and two decades later, I've spent about 12-13 years, the best part of that time living and working in Laos, Thailand, India, Nepal, Hong Kong, forced to appreciate and respect the diversity of every kind across Asia -- God either has a good sense of humor (as it's been a fun lesson to learn for me) or she's a bitch about payback for racist views like those I used to hold...

Respectfully,

YimSiam

Gadfly: Racism is rampant and accepted as a norm in Thailand.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

oh my...give me a second....

Can anyone name any period of history, in any country, where racism was NOT rampant?

Basically if you are a human being you are a racist. We are all part of one gigantic, petty problem.

Archived