"I don't respect Asians" - US VP Joe Biden

Gadfly

a statement wrongly translated,

This is how the Bangkok Post translated it. But I am curious, how would you have translated the statement? Incidentally, I also heard Khun Suthep and I think their translation was correct, but want to flush this out to make sure no one here is fooled by any deflecting smoke and mirrors about an alleged mistranslation.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is probably a byproduct of the Thai social system where there is no provision for foreigners standing in the pecking order, plus lack of colonisation and foreign influence on things like the education system, and the blind faith of the "Thai no. 1" indoctrination means that the overwhelming majority of "normal" Thais (ie. not overseas educated etc) struggle with the whole concept of foreigners and the world they represent and are so ignorant and brainwashed that they could not form a genuine friendship with a foreigner even if they wanted to.

Cheers

Contrary to what I hear so often from expats, I usually get a very friendly welcome from Thais - complete strangers - who often simply want to speak to someone they can understand (in their own language). The only times I get treated like crap are when I am in tourist areas, which I try to avoid since I know what they are like. Maybe that is where most expats tend to hang out. :hmmm:

If there is a difficulty in forming friendships with the average Thai, it is because we really have almost nothing in common. At home I wouldn't be likely to form a close friendship with someone with not even a high school education. What would we have to talk about? Virtually all of my friends - Thai and Farang - are university graduates. How could it be otherwise?

As to my standing in the pecking order, Thais almost invariably seem to place me higher than they are. My occupation is probably responsible for that, but generally Farangs are automatically placed at a fairly high level (presumed to be better educated and more affluent) - unless their behaviour or dress marks them as otherwise (backpacker etc). :dunno:

[color:green]If there is a difficulty in forming friendships with the average Thai, it is because we really have almost nothing in common. At home I wouldn't be likely to form a close friendship with someone with not even a high school education. What would we have to talk about? [/color]

1) Family.

2) Food.

3) Drinks.

4) Music.

5) Movies.

6) Weather.

7) Economy.

8) Cars.

9) Sports.

10) Thai women. :neener:

[color:green]If there is a difficulty in forming friendships with the average Thai, it is because we really have almost nothing in common. At home I wouldn't be likely to form a close friendship with someone with not even a high school education. What would we have to talk about? [/color]

1) Family.

2) Food.

3) Drinks.

4) Music.

5) Movies.

6) Weather.

7) Economy.

8) Cars.

9) Sports.

10) Thai women. :neener:

11. Other women

12. Religion

:)

The majority of backpackers likely have a uni education. And enough money to travel the world on holiday. So higher educated and more money than the majority of Thais in Thailand.

Nevertheless, most Thais consider them low class people. When I was a PC vol they were called hippies and looked down on just as much. Thais judge by appearances. Dress in a business suit and see how differently you'll be treated compared to when you wear a t-shirt and shorts.

If there is a difficulty in forming friendships with the average Thai, it is because we really have almost nothing in common. At home I wouldn't be likely to form a close friendship with someone with not even a high school education. What would we have to talk about? Virtually all of my friends - Thai and Farang - are university graduates. How could it be otherwise?

Ps. Kidding aside - I get your point (people congregate with what they are familiar with) and I know you didn't mean it mean-spirited, but would you *really* rule out a potential friend due to their progress in educational institutions? I've never found them to be an apt marker of intelligence or quality.

And you'd rule out 2 of my grandparents.

The good two.

I'm not an expat and not qualified to speak about the cultural divide you guys deal with living there, but am skeptical about absolutes.

The majority of backpackers likely have a uni education. And enough money to travel the world on holiday. So higher educated and more money than the majority of Thais in Thailand.

Nevertheless' date=' most Thais consider them low class people. When I was a PC vol they were called hippies and looked down on just as much. Thais judge by appearances. Dress in a business suit and see how differently you'll be treated compared to when you wear a t-shirt and shorts.

[/quote']

Flash,

"Thais judge by appearances."

Yes, very much so, and like farang who do the same they are discriminating against and looking down on people who are, many times, their superior in education and income. It is one of their failings. :):confused:

If there is a difficulty in forming friendships with the average Thai' date=' it is because we really have almost nothing in common. At home I wouldn't be likely to form a close friendship with someone with not even a high school education. What would we have to talk about? Virtually all of my friends - Thai and Farang - are university graduates. How could it be otherwise?

[/quote']

Ps. Kidding aside - I get your point (people congregate with what they are familiar with) and I know you didn't mean it mean-spirited, but would you *really* rule out a potential friend due to their progress in educational institutions? I've never found them to be an apt marker of intelligence or quality.

And you'd rule out 2 of my grandparents.

The good two.

I'm not an expat and not qualified to speak about the cultural divide you guys deal with living there, but am skeptical about absolutes.

Dave32,

"I've never found them to be an apt marker of intelligence or quality."

Yup, totally agree. :yeahthat:

Archived