It's almost that time again!

Flashermac

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fairly safe in my neighbourhood. I just have to watch out for a few kids and the roving loonies in the back of pickups. Certain areas are more or less designated "killing zones". Outside of them it's not bad. :D

But in Chiang Mai it goes on forever - even for weeks in the countryside. :p

TM-YiK6u5RY&feature=related

Started today in our village.

It's the day the old people gather under the Village meeting roof, about 50 of them, about 100 young people, kids etc, then all washed the old peoples hands in scented water, though every now and then one old person would grab the bowl and throw it over the young people.

Good fun,

Err, that's the way it IS, anyone's always welcome to visit.

Doesn't mean the rest of the week won't have it's moments, a few years back I took a zap gun of a young lad going nuts, another songkran I removed a machete from one lad trying to decapitate another.

But overall it's pretty good fun, the problem actually is usually people from Bangkok who party a tad too hard and forget village politeness.

One day during the week, there will be parade, were all the old folk dance down the street, that's good fun too,

When I was a PC vol the folks even in the small cities began with the respect paying to their elders. They fed the monks that morning and built little sand castles on the temple grounds. Village people would include the rare Farang in the group to be respected. It wouldn't be well into the day that the water throwing would begin. Even then if you indicated you didn't want to get wet, they'd leave you alone. Too many bungholes nowadays are damned and determined that you ARE going to get soaked, like it or not.

Most days people here go up to the wats and wash the little statues, that sit out waiting to get soaked.

I guess they figure if it's good enough to soak Buddha, your fair game too :)

It's odd to have you mobile wrapped in a condom, but it's the best trick, there are times you don;t want to get wet and some people just don;t care.

Worst is the young dick's who stand in front of your car then try to rub their belt buckle on the bonnet, only one lad silly enough to do that in 10 years,

Archived