Aussie meat pies

fotojourn

for anyone - especially Australians - who can’t stand to look at another bowl of soup or plate of rice, the Asia West “Aussie meat pieâ€, steak and mushroom pie and chicken and mushroom pie are now available at Big C and Makro Cash & Carry outlets.

"The “Aussie meat pie†from Asia West Foods is supplied vacuum packed, with the pie itself sitting inside a second, inner plastic bag, with some obscure juice droplets also present.

"The Asia West “Aussie meat pie†is jammed packed with ground beef (presumably, as no ingredient listing is provided), and a thick, slightly peppery gravy. Despite the pastry being slightly soggy due to the steaming effect of microwave cooking, nothing could dispel from the rich tasting filling."

A Salvation for Australian travelers and expats

Exactly. But if you can find another review by someone else then your welcome to point to it. But seeing there isn't any...

Now that people know about them they can do their own reviews here ;)

It's a cultural thing. If you're not Australian you won't appreciate the importance of a good meat pie review. :drool::drool:

The pies are a new line for BigC following its purchase of the Carrefour operations in Thailand.

There's also a whole range of exotic meats from SPF going in - crocodile, frog, beef steak, bulk duck and wild boar.

Expect to see different product lines but less choice at BigC as the full effect of the merger comes into affect -- according to my contacts.

Totally agree. Even cooking with the absorbent paper and vent holes the casing was still a bit limp.

I'd like to see how they went in a convection oven. I mentioned the change of color in the review and think they might be using a bit too much, or perhaps the wrong type, of grease in the shortcrust mix.

Shortcrust pastry is usually 50% grease (butter, margarine, lard) to flour but a commercial mix might be different.

Still, the inside is pretty good after the gazillionth plates of rice or soup :)

Archived