Girl in accident sued for Bt36m

Coss

30152944-01.jpg

The family of an academic who with eight other van passengers was killed in a tollway crash 100 days ago yesterday sued the girl driving the other vehicle for Bt36 million.

In the civil lawsuit, the mother of Sastra Chaothiang said she had lost support from her son calculated from his Bt50,000 monthly salary from the Thailand Institute of Scientific and Technological Research over the 28 years he would have worked there.

A fellow lecturer said the institute had also suffered huge financial damage following 10 years of its spending on Sastra and the scholarship it had granted him.

A separate civil lawsuit would possibly be lodged against the family of the unnamed 16 year old driver, he said.

Link

Maybe its just me but I have no sympathy for anyone who permits a 16 year old to drive a motor vehicle in Thailand if the law of the land expressly forbids it. No exceptions. I trust that the employer of the deceased academic does indeed pursue a separate lawsuit as should everyone who had an interest connected to those who died. I would only hope that separate criminal lawsuits might also be bought and that a proper example be made of these so called 'Hi-So' types. Bankruptcy and jail terms would be the only just outcome for anyone truly guilty of perpetrating or aiding and abetting such a crime.

I heard last week the proceedings are stalled because the attorneys for the car driver want the van driver to be held equally culpable because she was switching lanes.

The van driver held a valid driving license and so had demonstrated competence, the car driver had no license and was driving ILLEGALLY. Further, as a minor, the parents are responsible, whether they want to be or not.

How can there be anything that could mitigate against either of these FACTS?

If the van driver committed a motoring offence I am sure the authorities who know about such will charge them accordingly. More likely a matter for the police not the legal advisers of another suspected party. Such a tactic sounds as if they know just how weak is the ground on which they stand.

My expectation is an out of court settlement for maybe 5 or 6 million. After the other victims' families also sue, the girl's family is going to be flat broke. It would be nice if this taught a lesson to other so-called hi-so's, but I doubt it will. They will simply figure "it couldn't happen to me".

Archived