Briton 'beaten to death' in a Dubai police cell

kamui

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[color:red]Sorry for picking on you for a typo, I'm just bored.[/color]

Whose typo? Kamui is German if I recall correctly, that is the convention for typing 1,000 (1.000) in most/all/a lot of Europe.

OK. But marywanna does not usually make one violent (I am told). And even if he was out of control don't they have other means to control someone? Straight jacket, taser, etc.

National Geographic in conjunction with BBC has a Tele serices titled: Locked up Abroad. One hour series usually about folks willinging and unwillingly traveling abroad as runners. The reinactments are superb. And first hand dialoge/interviews. Bottom line, don't get locked up abroad.

I could have been locked up for throwing that butt on ground/sidewalk in front of Marriott on Sukhimvit. 2,000 baht fine. Reduced to 1,000 for cash. But still. What if I did not have any money?

Where would I be now?

[color:red]Sorry for picking on you for a typo, I'm just bored.[/color]

Whose typo? Kamui is German if I recall correctly, that is the convention for typing 1,000 (1.000) in most/all/a lot of Europe.

Yep, makes it sometimes complicated to communicate prices with customers. Either I write 1.000 or 1,000, a part of our customers will get it wrong...

... but actually, they don't get it wrong, since they have an idea of the value of our products.

.... back to the subject

Dubai pressured on jail death

The British embassy in Dubai has been investigating the death of a London-area man while in police custody, officials said Friday.

Lee Bradley Brown, 39, of Dagenham, was arrested for allegedly physically assaulting a housekeeper at the Burj al Arab Hotel. He died after being held for six days, The Daily Telegraph reported.

The Foreign Office officially notified his family of his death Wednesday. His sister said she had received a call earlier from a fellow prisoner who found her phone number in Brown's passport.

British officials said Consul General Guy Warrington told Dubai Police Chief Dhahi Khalfan Tamim the government expects a "full and open" investigation. The consulate has reportedly been interviewing other prisoners.

Australia and New Zealand have also been pressuring Dubai to guarantee any of their nationals who are in custody there will be safe. Dubai has denied Brown was beaten or subjected to other mistreatment.

"First thing I knew he was on holiday in Dubai -- next thing I know he's dead -- part of me has died with him," his mother, Doris Brown, said. "If anybody didn't deserve that kind of treatment it was him. He never did harm to anyone."

Brown, a self-employed maintenance man was staying at a hotel where rooms cost about $1,600 a night.

Link

Detained Briton choked on vomit -Dubai prosecutor

A British man who died in police custody in Dubai earlier this month suffocated on his own vomit, according to the public prosecutor's office.

Britain said on Thursday it was pressing police in Dubai to investigate the death of tourist Lee Bradley Brown in police custody this month.

In a statement reported by the official United Arab Emirates news agency WAM late on Thursday, Prosecutor Essam al-Humaidan said a post mortem showed death was caused by suffocation as a result of vomit leaking into his respiratory tract.

Humaidan said blood and urine tests revealed traces of hashish in the man's blood.

"All necessary measures were taken immediately and the duty prosecutor swiftly moved to the scene of the incident and conducted a first-hand examination of the body and its whereabouts," he said, adding that a coroner also examined the body.

Britain's Daily Mail newspaper reported on Thursday that Brown was staying at the luxury Burj al-Arab hotel and was beaten to death after being arrested for swearing.

The Dubai Public Prosecutor said he was taken into custody after verbally and physically abusing a female member of staff at the hotel.

"He pulled her by the hair and tried to push her from the balcony of the sixth floor in the hotel before a group of hotel employees restrained him," WAM said.

Link

Detained Briton choked on vomit -Dubai prosecutor

A British man who died in police custody in Dubai earlier this month suffocated on his own vomit, according to the public prosecutor's office.

Britain said on Thursday it was pressing police in Dubai to investigate the death of tourist Lee Bradley Brown in police custody this month.

In a statement reported by the official United Arab Emirates news agency WAM late on Thursday, Prosecutor Essam al-Humaidan said a post mortem showed death was caused by suffocation as a result of vomit leaking into his respiratory tract.

Humaidan said blood and urine tests revealed traces of hashish in the man's blood.

"All necessary measures were taken immediately and the duty prosecutor swiftly moved to the scene of the incident and conducted a first-hand examination of the body and its whereabouts," he said, adding that a coroner also examined the body.

Britain's Daily Mail newspaper reported on Thursday that Brown was staying at the luxury Burj al-Arab hotel and was beaten to death after being arrested for swearing.

The Dubai Public Prosecutor said he was taken into custody after verbally and physically abusing a female member of staff at the hotel.

"He pulled her by the hair and tried to push her from the balcony of the sixth floor in the hotel before a group of hotel employees restrained him," WAM said.

Link

Amazing, I actually believe that these officials think that if they say a person had drugs in their system then he must be evil and all other actions justify his guilt/punishment/death.

Archived