Traffic accident - fatality

BaronTT

Just witnessed a fatality.

2 motorcycles approaching from opposite directions, on a city side street. Night time. No helmets worn by anyone.

Southbound, driver without passenger, attempts a right turn into a soi.

Northbound, speeding like a maniac, husband driving with wife sitting behind him. Both drunk as they just left a Songkran party a few blocks away. Hits the southbound motorcycle as it was turning into the soi.

The 3 people involved land against 3 different cars which are parked at the street curb. Street is filled with parked cars, by the way. Southbound driver comes to rest at a car about 10 meters from impact, northbound wife at about 40 meters and husband at about 50 meters from impact.

Woman dies and the other 2 are in bad shape. The police cite someone as being at fault. Who would that be, you ask?

The driver of the parked car where the woman came to rest! Why? Because she had insurance! I was standing next to the woman and the cop as they were talking. She took it all in stride even though some bystanders were very upset with the policeman's decision.

Amazing Thailand!

So the insurance companies in Thailand are so stupid they will pay out in this circumstance where the parked car was totally blameless. They would have to be the total opposite of every insurance company in the world, who would pay out nothing!.

Yes, I would think that they would, since the police have issued an official citation. I doubt that the insurer would fight with the police. If they did fight, I think it would be a long shot for them to win. Lots of downsides to that course of action.

I would also think that the insurance regulator would want them to pay the claim.

Hi,

I wonder if witnessing this amount of ludicricy would get me in trouble as I am not sure I could keep my mouth shut, especially if the car being blamed was mine.

Blaming this on the stationary car without a driver just because it is insured is so fucking far beyond ludicrous it isn't funny. What that fucking cop seems to not understand is that by making the insurance company pay he is basically making everyone using insurance to pay for the morons that do not have insurance.

This mentality of 'let the person who can most afford to pay for it take the blame regardless of who was at fault' really pisses me off.

Sanuk!

"This mentality of 'let the person who can most afford to pay for it take the blame regardless of who was at fault' really pisses me off."

It is one of the more moronic things going on in the LOS. Not only that, but it will eventually put up the cost of insurance here. I'd bet that prices are higher than they should be already as part of the 'way of doing business' here in the LOS and already figured into the insurance company's costs. I just can't see them taking any losses. It is an insane way of 'helping' those that do not have insurance. Weird, yet somehow, typical Thai think. Nothing should surprise us any more when in Thailand. 555555.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife's uncle was riding a motorcycle in Lampang about a week ago, was making a turn and hit by a car. With no helmet, he ended up cracking his skull open. He's in a hospital now and isn't expected to make it (which is probably good as he would be in a vegetative state). I assume that the driver of the car didn't have insurance (I know he didn't, as he was in another motorcycle accident 30 years ago which did damage to his brain and left him with manual labor as his only way to make money). The hat was passed and I sent $450 for his medical bills (my wife's younger sister offered to loan 20.000 baht which begs the question who would re-pay the debt?). I just met him 2 months ago and he worked on my two properties in Chiang Mai and he was a hard worker (around the same age as myself, 58, and could work like a 20 year old). It makes me re-think about riding my motorcycle around which in LOS. Probably not my wife, whose comment about the DOT approved helmets that I brought to LOS from the U.S. several years ago was, "helmet too heavy." She wears one of those helmets out of WWII.

Your generosity is very charitable, motor-vehicle accidents IMO are always a sad way to come to ones demise ... a momentary lapse of attention can have such far reaching consequences ... I would still be biking but on a highway I would prefer the safety of a steel trap around me :beer:

On the one hand, I think all injury and death is terrible, especially to me and mine.

On the other hand, I ride a motorbike, here, and in Los/Laos/Cambo with relative abandon. On this basis: I've lived a full life, and instant oblivion would be better than a lingering death from age or cancer or somesuch.

But I have to say the most unnerving driving experience I've had, was driving a Mustang from San Francisco to Monterey and back. Driving on the left (instead of my usual right) and the expectation of armed police chases may have had something to do with that.

Archived