The Australian Embassy, Bangkok

gobbledonk

Ever been out to South Sathorn Rd and thought 'Jesus, where did they get the money for THAT ?'. As one of the taxpayers who paid for the (manicured) fortress, I can only say that I was dumbstruck - I thought I was in the US Embassy.

Filipinos wanting consular assistance can stroll down Sukhumvit, wander through the grounds into the dilapadated old building and see someone. The Laotian consulate could easily double as a bus shelter, but at least you see other human beings.

I realise that they would have built a lot of the security into the design after the Embassy was bombed in Jakarta, but it really seems like overkill to me. Still, if you want people to see you are a regional power .....

The UK embassy is on land that was bought before WWII, when it was outside the city and cheap. The grounds were splendid - until some genius decided to sell the front half, where a huge building went up overshadowing the embassy. Really great for security now. :p

I worked for Australian Development Aid 25 years ago and went to the Oz embassy regularly to get paid. It looked beautiful back then, before it was turned into Fort Apache.

If you get a chance go visit the Chinese Embassy along Ratchadapisek Road, just down from the Esplanade Shopping Complex. If your lucky to be there when the gates open and gaze in you think you were looking at a scene from Alice in Wonderland with all the manicure lawns, shrubs and trees :beer:

And it is about to have a major security upgrade.

All Oz embassies were listed for upgrade after the Jakarta bombing.

Upgrade ? Short of stripping everyone naked at the gate, I'm not sure what else they could do. Other than the gardeners, and the odd VIP at various functions, I'm not sure exactly who gets to wander unhindered through the manicured grounds - the Ambassador ? KRUDD ? Probably not the PM, given her rather difficult relationship with Kev.

The UK embassy is on land that was bought before WWII, when it was outside the city and cheap. The grounds were splendid - until some genius decided to sell the front half, where a huge building went up overshadowing the embassy. Really great for security now. :p

Are you refering to land facing Ploenchit that Central bought back in 2006? Construction is only now starting.

TH

Central Retail launching Bt10 bn complex on old UK embassy site

The Nation Published on January 27, 2011

To cash in on the fast rebound of the local retail market, Central Retail Corporation (CRC), Thailand's largest retail conglomerate, will next month hold the official launch of its first premium Bt10billion multipurpose complex, on the prime plot of land previously occupied by the British Embassy.

Named Central Embassy, the complex is aimed at shaking up the premium retail landscape in downtown Bangkok, including those in the Ratchaprasong shopping district.

CRC chief executive officer Tos Chirathivat said the company would announce details on the Central Embassy project to local media on February 9, while the grand launch of the multipurpose retail complex would be made the following day.

The design work of the Central Embassy complex has been comฌpleted and the stonelaying ceremoฌny was conducted on January 18.

A combination of cuttingedge design technologies and flowing contours define a 37floor building comprising an eightstorey retail podium, verdant sky terraces and a sixstar hotel tower that come together in a blend of originality and integrity, the company says.

The construction of the luxury multipurpose complex, including the retail podium and hotel tower, will start in the second quarter of this year and be completed by 2013.

"We have seen better retail performance so far this year, with 10percent yearonyear growth posted in January," Tos said.

Spending power

Piyawan Leelasompop, vice presฌident of Central Department Store, the departmentstore unit of CRC, said that CDS, together with its other retail business units, including Supersports, Power Buy and B2S, achieved 5 per cent sales growth to Bt48 billion last year.

"We have seen better spending power of local shoppers with average ticket value increased by 7 per cent in the last month of 2010," Piyawan said.

CDS expects its overall sales, together with CRC's other store units, to reach Bt13 billion in the first quarter this year, Piyawan said. Central Department Store alone expects to achieve sales of Bt7.5 billion in the quarter.

Piyawan said CentralPlaza Lat Prao would be temporarily closed from February 14 for a major renovation, which would take about six months. The 30yearold shopping complex will be reopened in July, while the Central Department Store at CentralPlaza Lat Prao will be officially opened in September.

Nattakit Tangpoonsinthana, executive vice president of marketing for Central Pattana (CPN), a leading shoppingmall developer and operator of CentralWorld shopping complex, said the company expected overall shopper traffic at its malls to increase significantly by between 7 and 8 per cent this quarter.

"We have seen better economic and political situations. The politiฌcal atmosphere has improved significantly, as all political rallies have been well managed. Every stakeholder in the political sector, both anti and progovernment protesters, have tried to make compromises and conduct their rallies in a more discipline manner," Nattakit said.

He said CPN had committed to an investment plan to develop three major shopping complexes in Chiang Rai, Phitsanulok, and Rama IX Road in Bangkok this year.

The companies yesterday launched their first synergy campaign, "The Amazing Chinese New Year 2011", with a budget of more than Bt160 million, aimed at increasing shopper traffic by 2025 per cent during the auspicious Lunar New Year festival. The campaign is expected to generate Bt2 billion in overall sales.

Archived