Aussie dollar soars to fresh record

ozpharlap

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember my first Tech job overseas, being told I was getting X000 a month, thinking it was in Aussie dollars I almost dies on pay day, I was being paid in USA $'s! Aussie dollar then 53 cents to the USA

I was getting about double what I thought was already a bloody good wage

Yes, if you have some spare cash, it is a good time to buy Thai property, and sell it in 2 years when the aussie dollar sinks again ... mind you, some property pundits are tipping property to fall by up to 60% in Oz, and also in those places it has not fallen like a lead balloon as yet :beer:

I posted this excerpt in another thread, but will do so again here ... there was a report on the radio this morning that one leading economic forecast division tips the aussie dollar to soar to US 170.00 by 2014, but sure, many things could happen before then :beer:

Let's see .. if I convert US$30,000 and it goes to A$1 = US$170.00 ... I'll get US$5,100,000!

Yeah, good one, however, when discussing the dollar conversions and you say 1US to 170.00 it is a comparison calculated in the base amount, being a cent, so it is 100.00 cf 170.00, thus $30,000 US equates, in 2014 to only $17,746 AUD ... whose laughing now :beer:

Oh, Flash, by the way, if you convert $30,000 US to US it will still be $30,000 US :beer:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

As I type this, the AUD is perilously close to slipping back under 30 baht - the same forces which pushed it to somewhere north of 33 a few months back are now pushing it back down the leader board. While I enjoyed the ride, I didnt particularly enjoy being surrounded by 'cashed up bogans' everywhere I went - as long as it doesnt go under 28, I can live with the prospect of getting on a plane without every Tom, Dick and Kylie. Compared to Europe, this is still the land of milk and honey.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately it has slipped back to 108.18, but let's hope it creeps up again soon. I remember the good old days when the aussie dollar was 150.00 US :beer:

To bad I was to young to make anything of it :down:

Aaah, what a difference a couple of months makes. Just checked xe.com, and the Pacific Peso is under the 30 baht mark - probably 28-29 on the street in BKK. Hardly the kind of tragedy which has befallen the GBP, but I guess we had our 15 seconds of fame. Its good for our exporters and might cut down on the sheer number of dribblers on outbound flights.

Archived