Back to the Bare Boobs

zanemay

The girls who danced topless during Songkran - The discussion missed a lot.

While the woman that wrote the article was disparaging the wounding of Thai culture as was the Minister of Culture, they didn't mention the cultural damage caused by the perversion of Songkran from a lovely, traditional ritual into a bizarre, industrial strength water war. Perhaps they don't worry about this because the new, bizarre Songkran (a.k.a. Water Festival, the name used for commercial promotion) is such a profitable product for the tourist industry and the vendors of Songkran crap.

But yes, it is the place of older women who don't have much else going on, to play the role of defenders of the culture, especially from "immoral behavior." It's so interesting that originally Asian and African cultures wanted women to cover up bare breasts to conform with foreign values! Some do and some don't. Older Thai women wander around their Issan yards bare, and who would care? Country girls nurse their babies on songtaeows around here.

Look! The breasts belong to (1) the women (2) their babies. They can do whatever the hell they want with them. Except for nursing I prefer they keep them tucked away, so I can have the joy of taking them out for myself. Leaving them out all the time spoils the fun.

It's also funny that katoeys can take theirs out whenever and wherever, at least in Pattaya. Police have no interest because they're artificial. Really hilarious.

KBS World TV (Korean) is running a documentary on an African tribe in which all females from 8 to 80 are bare chested. These people live in a harsh environment, but seem to keep a spunky attitude, one 65 yr. old dude with lots of goats, taking a 15 yr old as his 4th wife, with the approval of the other 3 - actually looked odder than anything I've seen in LOS. Methinks this boob exposure (which was shown late at night here) is akin to National Geographic. They are documenting culture, yes, and giving us a little thrill at the same time, whoopee. Boobs or no boobs, those people lead rather boring lives and I changed channel after awhile.

It was in the Thai news that a couple of khatoeys did take their tops off in Pichit and show their boobs. Both were arrested and fined - and said they realise it was wrong and promised they won't do it again.

What was the charge?

I did see the Thai police arrest a farang on Sukumvitt once who had his shirt off. The farang insisted on keeping his shirt off so they arrested him. Dumb fark.

Somehow the farang got hurt so they had to call an ambulance.

I remember when the Thai police in the late 1980s were ordered to crack down on idiot backpackers who would stroll through Chiang Mai wearing nothing but their undershorts. The Thai papers carried photos of long-haired, unwashed Farangs roaming the city looking more like Indian "holy men" than tourists. :p

Archived