Scooter question(s)...

Boomah

Anyone have an A-4E handy, looking to buy one... Kidding of course, I'm asking about the other scooters :yay:

Been thinking about picking up a scooter the next time I'm in town, I don't need a car and just want something small I can leave at a friend's place & use during my more and more frequent visits. Even toyed with the idea of taking one home with me as they're A LOT cheaper in LoS & gas has gone through the roof here. Which brings me to my question:

Can you bargain with any scooter dealers in Thailand? I'll probably be picking one up in Pattaya/Chonburi or at least close to that area (Naklua maybe?). Does one have to pay the sticker or can one simply drop a wad of cash and say "this is what I'm willing to pay"... Like buying a car in the US. Also, can I purchase it alone or do I need a Thai involved in some way (I really hope not!) Last thing, are there any hidden charges or is the price you see the "out the door" price? I've heard once you buy, you're kind of own your own as far as warrantees go but any insight on that and the other questions is very much appreciated!!!

TIA & a big Mahalo, hope someone is in the know on this! :beer:

Boomah

To own a vehicle in LOS you will need a "O-A" (retirement visa) or work visa as the Thai Immi office can issue you a letter stating that you are eligible to own a vehicle. Cannot do on a tourist or a 30day stamp in type visa, so would need a Thai or a farang that had the proper visa and the letter. I say get the letter from Thai Immi as they issue it for free but takes about three weeks before you will receive it in the mail.

You can bargain on the sale price but don't expect much of a discount.

You will also pay approx. 2000 Baht to get the vehicle into your name (the green book showing ownership) and the sticker from the Thai gov.

Warranty, very few shops selling scooters are licensed distributors so warranty is a crap shoot.

I bought my Honda Click (103 MPG) second hand from a shop on Rama 4, Bangkok. Good shop, great lady with solid second hand scooters for sale. Get the fuel injected version of the Honda. I have put approx. 20000 Km on my scooter and only change the oil and battery (one time), runs great!

There is an auction place that a friend bought his pickup at. He said that there are plenty of scooters to chose from. Maybe something like this in Pattaya?

For me, I will buy second hand. My scooter was one year old, 6000 Km and cost 25000 Baht, total with the cost of the "title" transfer, etc. New, cos would have been approx. 48000 baht.

Heard there is an Auction place in Pattaya (every Wednesday, I believe) where you can buy say....1 y.o. bikes at really keen prices.... heard around 17 - 20k

Even if it needs a total engine re build in the first year it won't cost much more than 5k

Looked at a new Honda Cllick Auto fully tricked..... approx 48k

If true, this is a great deal....will be there again late next week and will investigate further....time permitting...lol

Will report findings

Cheers DS

Before bringing a scooter into Australia check with the RTA, my friends did that and their scooter is still sting in the garage after 4 years RTA would not register it.

Scooter are cheap in OZ cost me $20AUD a fortnight to run in fuel my scooter Yamaha Majesty 400cc, insurance $200 a year and Rego & Green slip about $400.00 a year and my weekly train ticket is $35 week so go figure.

New law in Oz the small the cc they higher the Rego, because of all the idiots who buy scooters and don't wear the right riding gear

Thanks for the info, but the bike will just remain in LOS for a day tripper or 7/11 or local trips :beer:

Everything is bloody going up in Oz, the politicians are just ensuring that they get there fat super packages for the next 20-50 years ... and as with the rest of the world, tax is shifting away from people's earnings as a base for taxation to taxing the hell out of necessities (it ensures a tax supply) :beer:

Forget about bringing it back to the USA. You will encounter a snake pit of both federal and state registration, pollution and safety requirements that will guarantee that it will spend the rest of it's existence locked up in some bonded customs warehouse at your expense.

Vehicles imported to the US are manufactured specifically for the US market.

Archived