Is Thailand in a state of irreversible decline?

panadolsandwich

It is not booming for the majority of the Thai people, IMO.

Prices are up but wages have not followed so the Thai people have to contend with inflation.

Yesterday, I was in Tesco to buy some ground pork...145 Baht a Kg!!! WTF...I could find it on sale for 75 Baht a Kg or "regular" price was 105 Baht a Kg and this is just one item!

Prices on small items in the 7-Eleven are creeping up by about 2 baht every few months. I blame it the price of oil.

When I came to Thailand in 1973, it was dirt cheap! I had a living allowance of 1800 baht a month - ate out every night and wore only tailor-made clothes. 2nd class train fare Bangkok-Chiangmai was about 60 baht. The following year OPEC decided to "screw the west". The SOBs didn't hurt the west that much, but they punished the Third World right royally. Prices started climbing and have never really stopped. The reason is transportation - almost entirely based on petrol.

Thank God the government subsidises diesel. You see idiots demanding it stop, not realising that if the subsidy does food and everything else will immediately increase by at least 25% and keep on increasing.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived