Repent ye sinners: The end is nigh

robaus

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will say this though. A church is still the best business to have bar none. The IRS is loathe to go after a church. They have and do but that church will have to be openly f*cking up majorly and they get a far longer leash than your typical business.

The risk of seeming like the government is attacking religion is still great in the U.S. and they are very scared of it.

Tons of loopholes and ways to hide money in a church. Most of your income is cash. Many churches have a rectory and you can live rent free via this. Churches can have credit cards, etc.

Fear of eternal damnation is the only thing stopping me from starting one and taking advantage of the benefits. :wink:

Any Christian worth his or hers time in Sunday school would know that the [color:red]bible says NO ONE knows the hour or day, not even Jesus.[/color] Only God knows so he is violating a basic tenet of the bible just predicting the time and day.

Some theologians believe that the prophesized second coming won't come when the world is mired in war or some great catostrophy. It will come when the world least expects according to the bible ("like a thief in the night) so the theory is that it will come when the world is completely at peace. No Middle East crisis, racism, wars, everyone is getting along, poverty is being wiped out, etc.

Others say why would God want to mess that scenario up?

Interesting...to some of us at least.

Who reads the Bible?

A lot of Christians believe Jesus is God.

Any Christian worth his or hers time in Sunday school would know that the [color:red]bible says NO ONE knows the hour or day' date=' not even Jesus.[/b'][/color] Only God knows so he is violating a basic tenet of the bible just predicting the time and day.

Some theologians believe that the prophesized second coming won't come when the world is mired in war or some great catostrophy. It will come when the world least expects according to the bible ("like a thief in the night) so the theory is that it will come when the world is completely at peace. No Middle East crisis, racism, wars, everyone is getting along, poverty is being wiped out, etc.

Others say why would God want to mess that scenario up?

Interesting...to some of us at least.

Who reads the Bible?

A lot of Christians believe Jesus is God.

This is where it gets confusing. The concept of the Holy Trinity (Jesus, God, Holy Spirit) means that they are all the same AND separate. Very confusing and something I struggled to understand growing up.

It was estaablished when Constantine I ordered a meeting to decide on one church doctrine as there were different beliefs at the time. The Council of Nicaea, around the 400AD time period if memory serves me right for the first meeting and about 300 years later for the second.

Anyway, the guy is breaking with accepted doctrine of predicting it.

Well the Mayan Calendar states year 2012.

Couldn't this preacher wait just one more year?

Surprising how many people believe the Mayan calendar is accurate. I have never come across a person who has actually translated the Mayan calendar. It appears it is assumed that what others have said about the subject must be correct. As for the Mayans, they didn't believe the world would end; that belief was introduced by the Christians.

The christian belief that the world is going to come to an end can also be translated as end of an age. If the scripture gets rendered end of an age, then that belief is in harmony with Hinduism and Buddhism beliefs on the subject.

If you look at Christianity, in many ways it seems to mimic the believes of other religions such as Hinduism.

And to get it back to Thailand, there are even posters on the baht buses here in Pattaya (in both Thai and English) announcing this insane preacher's views about the end of everything on May 21st. I'm not sure what the Thais make of it, they must think all farangs are stupid.

Anyway if you read the website FamilyRadio he says there is nothing anyone can do about it, you are already saved or you are not. So best to just lie back and enjoy it...

Archived