train from Suvarnabhumi

hawaiijohn

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, runs from 06.00 to 24.00 every 15 minutes .

Took the thing a few days ago in both directions, city line to Phaya Thai 45B one way, connected to BTS at Phaya Thai, lots of stairs to walk down :( but walk right into BTS. If you have heavy luggage, good luck.

Was carrying a small rucksack and heavy sweating awaiting BTS train, and very cold in BTS train...

On the way back to the airport discovered automatic stairs upwards, was a relief, looks to be 3 levels up....train fully loaded.

Since there is an express train 15 minutes ride at 150B and the city train 30 minutes at 45B my opinion is it would have been smarter to run a stop train every 5 minutes and forget the idea of an express train.

Would I use it again?

I doubt it, a taxi is a lot more comfortable and with two pax it's certainly not worth the hassle even with the city line.

Last time I used it, I saw several families, four people, fighting with their luggage up/down stairs or waiting a long time in a long queue for the one elevator...IMO, and for all the time/money spent, this train is poorly done.

For me, I never use the train if I am flying in/out of LOS.

For me, I never use the train if I am flying in/out of LOS.

And that, to me, says a lot. Cav is the most intelligent frugal guy I know (I say that will 100% love, bro'!). If there is a baht to be saved, he'll find it.

So Cav saying it sucks, that's a through damnation. The really IS no redeeming values.

This train is the virtual definition of a "white elephant."

Only if you have heavy luggage, if you have a light bag, business flyer or a local/expat just coming back into town it is fine. I have used it and found it great, and I had 2 bags (mind you, I got off at Makkassan, where they have lifts and escalators :beer:

However, if you take the train it is cheap (even if you catch a taxi when you get off, you have eye candy to look at instead of stilted conversation with a taxi driver who mumbles "me not speak English", and no traffic jams :beer:

Seriously, I had a day's worth of meetings in HKG recently.

I totally looked for a) how to xfer from Petchaburi MTS to Makkasan Airport train lines on the Internet. I could find zero instructions on how to do this, even with no baggage save a computer bag and a J-class ticket. Plus this is being able to read Thai and full access to the inter-tubes!

I later learned it was a 10 minute walk between stations.

Given it is a B300 taxi/toll ride from Sukhumvit 39 to Swampy, and ~B100+ train/taxi from just my place at Phrom Phong to Makkasan to Swampy, then plus the B300, after all that, why would I bother? Zero advantage at all. Each way, mind you.

My usual taxi meter fare from Suk 31 is B240, plus tolls. I usually tip B100 ifa cool guy, as they usually are. So I am still ahead, and I am actually contributing to the local economy as they spend the money there!

I'd rather give my usual airport tip (if a cool guy) of B100 to a taxi meter guy versus taking the inconvenient train. No other justification needed.

Yes, agree, the internet information is not that great but they now have plenty of signs up to point you in the right direction.

The walk, if you're of average fitness is about 5 minutes.

My only dislike is getting caught in traffic, and will do almost anything to avoid it :beer:

Mind you, the traffic along the Petchuburi Road and Ratchadapisek intersection seems to have improved remarkably.

I usually stay out at Suttisarn/Ladphrao area, and if you know Lad Phrao Road, it can be just as bad, if not worse than Ratchadapisek Road ... so, if I decide to catch a taxi either way, at the wrong time of the day or if some donut seller on a trike decides to completely fark up the traffic it may mean I miss the plane.

These days, I holler for my local bike taxi, he nestles one small suitcase between his legs, I hook one over my shoulder and down Thanon Suttisarn Winitchai to Suttisarn MRT (3 minutes, 5 minutes in heavy traffic) ... then MRT and air-train ... all for 74 baht :up:

And also, I know it won't take more than 1 hour all up, even if waiting for the trains, and no traffic snarls.

However, I usually have a bottle of Leo or two left in my refrigerator which I always give to the motor taxi rider :beer:

Archived