Low Season Indicators

Gadfly

I am not out as much these days, but noticed a few things that suggest this is truly low season:

- I am getting ten phone calls or more a day now from girls who want to meet up for glass of wine, dinner, etc. I typically get, maybe, two in high season. To avoid confusion, these are not random calls; these are girls I know or knew from prior forays into the scene.

- More interesting and worthy of its own bullet point, several of those calls are from stunners that suddenly and inexplicably left the scene, but are now quite available. The English skills of one, a real stunner from a bar on the Asoke side of Soi Cowboy, have improved tremendously. I guess she went to school during her almost one year hiatus from the scene - that's what she says, and why shouldn't I believe her :grinyes:?

- On the BTS at Asoke, a very attractive young lass 'accidentally' gave me a touch/quick stroke on her way out of the train. I didn't initiate this or even really pay close attention to her until it happened. But when it did happen, I took a closer look at her, and recognized her from a bar that begins with "B" on the Soi 23 side of Soi Cowboy. This is first for me.

Generally, it just seems like the girls are friendlier and more available. Am I just lucky, or have others noticed the same?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems a bit early for the low season but I have also noticed that many of the areas are not as crowded as there were one month ago. :dunno:

I still see about the same number of tourists/backpackers around the Suk Soi 93 area, as there are cheap hotels and service apartments to be had.

Good point about the increased presence of Japanese customers. A BG who works at the bar that begins with "B" on the Soi 23 side of Soi Cowboy did say that the number of Japanese visitors was markedly higher than Farang visitors. But her view was that the increase in Japanese customers did not make up for the decline in customers generally. The girls I know seem more, well, hungry. Maybe my preferences in BGs doesn't overlap with that of Japanese customers (also, don't want to get into the Japanese bashing thing - not suggesting anyone was leading that way, but just want to make a preemptive measure).

I am also hearing that following the topless Song Kran dancing incident on Silom there is a mini crackdown is in effect. I haven't really seen much evidence on this, but then I am not out late (too old). I am wondering if there really is such a "crackdown"?

Actually I am not saying its any different from other low seasons. I am really saying "I just noticed". And I just noticed for the same reason I don't post much anymore - too busy with work and not out late much anymore (and thus less to say about the nightlife).

I am curious to see if others - who presumably go out more than me (I suspect many here, if they live in Bangkok) - have noticed this as well. I am largely relying on second hand reports from BGs (or purported ex-BGs) that I meet for a glass of wine or two in the early evening, and I am wondering if what they are reporting is consistent with what Farangs here are seeing.

"Lower US" Yes I noticed this when I was in the US - being on a Baht salary it was great, except some US prices seem to have gone up (in US dollars).

When I have the time, I will post about the four days I spent with several Thai colleagues in the U.S. over the Song Kran period (I combined business with holiday, and most of the time I was not with my co-workers). I probably won't cover anything that hasn't been said before, but I found some of it very amusing.

Archived