31-year overstay American dies in suicide

kamui

31-year overstay American dies in apparent suicide

An American man believed to have been living illegally in Thailand for 31 years died of an apparent suicide in his Central Pattaya home.

Gerhard Habel, 78, was found by 74-year-old wife Anong Tintachart hanging from a long shoelace in their Soi Paniadchang 5/1 house April 17.

Anong said she awoke to find her husband not in bed and discovered the body. She said she didn’t know of any reason he would want to kill himself.

During their investigation, Banglamung police found that Habel had entered Thailand from Singapore in 1980 and could not find any evidence of visas or permanent resident permits allowing him to live legally in the kingdom since then.

Patty Mail

Anong said she awoke to find her husband not in bed and discovered the body. She said she didn’t know of any reason he would want to kill himself.

[/url]

Maybe being marreid to a 74 y.o. wife?

Could have been from North Dakota. There are small towns in Nord Dakota where German is still the first language. I had a classmate from Strassburg, ND who spoke English with a German accent. His family had been in the US for about 100 years. :D

p.s. The capital of North Dakota is Bismark. :beer:

[/url]

Maybe being marreid to a 74 y.o. wife?

Maybe she had a Thai lover?

Hang yourself with shoelaces? :hmmm:

Interesting name for an American.

The name is definitely German/Austrian/Swiss...

At that age, I would assume he was 2nd generation American. Parents probably immigrants. Possibly he was born somewhere else and came as a baby or small child.

Many Europeans aglicized their children's first name in order to make them more 'American' so my guess was he came as a baby or adolescent.

Another guess is he possibly a Vietnam vet. In Thailand for 31 years, maybe came back to America, didn't adjust and left for Thailand. Just a pull out of my ass guess.

Archived