Stick's column

Coss

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't believe any PR have been actually issued for the last 4 or 5 years - anyone have any knowledge otherwise?

"Officially" you must have a Non-Immigrant Visa for 3 consecutive years to apply for a PR, and then have the PR for 10 years to apply for citizenship.

Cheers!

Years ago PR was easy to get. A lot of GIs got it through their Thai wives so they could retire here. (There was no retirement visa then.) Applying for PR only cost about 20,000 baht. I think it was Takky who raised it up to many times that. I know he doubled everything else. I believe PR is 100,000 to apply if you are legally married to a Thai, 200,000 if single. No guarantee you will get it either. You could be throwing away a big hunk of money.

actually the application for the PR is just a few k or 10 - only when the PR is approved & ready to be collected is when the 100 or 200k is to be paid & thus it does seem odd why the establishment dont wanna cash in on the pending 'approved' applications that have been sitting 'idle' for years :rolleyes:

anyway as long as the yearly extensions are pretty easy to obtain the PR attraction given e.g. WP & re-entry is still needed is really a TIT & best ignored at present...

indeed why wanna be treated as a Thai lol :beer:

Ah, I'd forgotten about that - the WP is indeed still required. You are still a foreigner and the land purchase restriction applies. The only real advantages of PR are that you don't have to keep a certain amount of money sitting in the bank and you don't have to report to immigration every 90 days like a criminal or renew your visa each year.

Archived