Global RIP thread

khunsanuk

It used to piss me off in Vietnam that good guys were almost always the ones who got killed, like as not trying to save somebody else. The selfish SOBs survived. I want to rewrite the rule book on life. :(

In my outfit there were always some who just loved it. Never an issue for someone to volunteer to walk point.

It used to piss me off in Vietnam that good guys were almost always the ones who got killed, like as not trying to save somebody else. The selfish SOBs survived. I want to rewrite the rule book on life. :(

I lost a first cousin in Vietnam, he had finished his tour of duty, was flying back on a chopper to return home-side and got shot by a sniper whilst in the chopper ... life can be short, so, enjoy it, even if you may not consider it the be oh so great :beer:

Took about crappy luck, but things like that happened. I remember that after one of our daily rocket, mortar and artillery attacks during the seige of Dak To, we were told the artillery battery next to us lost 2 men dead. One had been in RVN two weeks, the other was due to go home in two weeks. Later, our rear detachment at Qui Nhon got hit one evening with RPGs fired at the perimeter bunkers. Charlie got lucky with a direct hit on one, killing the 3 GIs on guard. They had been in country 2 days and had reported to the battalion that morning. They hadn't even been picked up on the morning report, and the battalion clerks were trying to figure out how to report them as KIA when they hadn't been reported as in the battalion.

It is with considerable sadness that I have to pass this on:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/e-street-bands-clarence-clemons-dies-at-69-20110618

No mention on the local news here - I guess the E Street Band arent as well known as their front man - but thats 2 gone from the original lineup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Street_Band

If you havent heard Clemons' wailing solo on 'Jungleland', I strongly suggest you give it a listen. Timeless.