Global RIP thread

khunsanuk

RIP Joe Frazier.

Re: Cassius Clay. When I was a kid in grade school, 5th or 6th grade, had 4 posters on the bedroom wall -- Kenny Stabler, The Clash London Calling, Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders, and Muhammad Ali. Around 1980. Ken Stabler and Ali's time in the spotlight was already waning at that point -- but I knew who they were and idolized both as great outspoken athletes with electric personalities that inspired people.

Can certainly understand the appeal to youth. Ali may have had faults and been wrong, and I don't know him to the extent of others here --> but there's no denying he did great things and left a mark on history (and not all bad), and there's no doubt some of this cost him personally.

Ps. Next post will be from BKK, or somewhere in LoS. Debating whether I should scoot on down to WalMart to pick up an inflatable raft before the flight.

:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On the TV news they claimed Jobs took acid and even went to an ashram.

Surprising the Conservatives are claiming him as one of their own.

I just read his biography.

Before he founded the company he was a real hippie. He traveled to India in search for a guru and he did a lot of meditation (Zen). He went barefoot most of the time. He was a strict vegetarian and in his early years he had phases when he almost only ate fruit. Because of this he thought that he his body wouldn't become smelly. After he founded the company had to be frequently reminded to take a shower at least once a week... surprised.gif

When he and Steve Wozniak earned their first money (Steve acquired the contract, Wozniak did the work) Jobs defrauded Wozniak, by not telling him the full amount earned and by not paying him the 50% they had agreed upon. Wozniak learnt about this only decades later.

I guess what made him special was his extreme personality, his extremely independent mind, his constant challenge of rules (society, how to run a business, how things are getting done, e.g.) mixed with a really good education and a good upbringing by simple, but strong and caring parents. And very important: this was mixed with the Zeitgeist of the Hippie movement which wanted to change the world. But he didn't want to change the world with free sex or spiritual awaking, but through technology.

In regard to his personality: he seemed to have some severe emotional deficits - he must have been a complete asshole in his early company years. He frequently tried and succeeded to destroy people working for him by abusing them verbally. At 25 he was already a multi millionaire, nevertheless he refused contact to his first daughter, born to his former girl friend. Even later when was even more rich his daughter had to borrow money from a friend of Steve for to pay for college.

Steve was everything the conservatives hated and hate, except that he was one of the most successful entrepreneurs of the 20th century and lived the American dream to the fullest.

When he and Steve Wozniak earned their first money (Steve acquired the contract, Wozniak did the work) Jobs defrauded Wozniak, by not telling him the full amount earned and by not paying him the 50% they had agreed upon. Wozniak learnt about this only decades later.

Sorry, this is the final proof of true political conservatism... B)

Mash star Harry Morgan dies aged 96

_57195795_57195774.jpg

Harry Morgan played Colonel Sherman Potter in Mash from 1975 to 1983 Actor Harry Morgan, best known for playing Colonel Sherman Potter in US TV show Mash, has died aged 96.

The star died at his Los Angeles home after suffering from pneumonia, his family confirmed.

Mike Farrell, who played BJ Hunnicutt in the military series, said of Morgan: "There was not an unadorable bone in the man's body."

Morgan also appeared as Officer Bill Gannon opposite Jack Webb in TV crime serial Dragnet from 1967 to 1970.

He appeared in more than 100 movies in mostly supporting roles from the early 1940s, playing opposite stars including Henry Fonda, John Wayne, James Garner, Elvis Presley and Dan Aykroyd.

Morgan began his TV career in the 1950s when the medium was in its infancy in the US, which he said allowed him "to kick the Hollywood habit of typing an actor in certain roles".

But it was his role as fatherly Col Potter in Mash, which he played from 1975 to 1983, that remains his best-remembered performance.

In 1980 he won an Emmy award for his portrayal, which was set during the Korean War.

During a news conference in 1983, after taping the final episode of Mash, the actor broke down in front of reporters.

"I'm feeling very sad and sentimental. I don't know if Mash made me a better actor but I know it made me a better human being," he said.

His co-star Mike Farrell added that Morgan was "an imp".

"He was full of fun and he was smart as a whip," added the actor.

Morgan's daughter-in-law, Beth Morgan, said he was "side-splittingly funny" and "very humble about having such a successful career".

He is survived by three sons, eight grandchildren and his second wife, Barbara Bushman.