Global RIP thread

khunsanuk

Christopher Hitchens

"WASHINGTON - British-born journalist and atheist intellectual Christopher Hitchens, who made the United States his home and backed the 2003 U.S. invasion of Iraq, died on Thursday at the age of 62.

Hitchens died in Houston of pneumonia, a complication of cancer of the esophagus, Vanity Fair magazine said.

"Christopher Hitchens - the incomparable critic, masterful rhetorician, fiery wit, and fearless bon vivant - died today at the age of 62," Vanity Fair said.

A heavy smoker and drinker, Hitchens cut short a book tour for his memoir "Hitch 22" last year to undergo chemotherapy after being diagnosed with cancer.

As a journalist, war correspondent and literary critic, Hitchens carved out a reputation for barbed repartee, scathing critiques of public figures and a fierce intelligence."

LINK

Booze is no problem as long as you don't let it take over. I go for days without touching it, and when I do it is in moderation. I was totally wasted one time in my life - in RVN when I drank a 20-year-old lieutenant under the table to show I could. He was up and about the next day; I wished someone would shoot me and put me out of my misery. Since then I stop as soon as I start to feel it.

However, I have a friend who absolutely has to leave it alone. He says if he has even one drink, he cannot stop until he passes out. :yikes:

In the States I had a glass of red wine every evening. Here wine is ridiculously expensive! :(