Global RIP thread

khunsanuk

He came across as a good guy, but the Monkees stars were picked for that. When they came in to audition, they had stuff pulled on them like hitting them in the face with a bucket of water or a custard pie. The producers wanted to see how they'd react.

http://www.eonline.c...ad_at_66/297688

the tv programme was obviously strictly made to suit their image of silly,happy-go-lucky lads of the era and some of the soundtrack was played by session musicians,whilst the monkees themselves swapped instruments around for various reasons and became a 'better' group amongst themselves.

but when they decided to on tour it 'seemed' to come together and they carried the live sound quite well so it seems and they were VERY popular in their day.

still performing in various guises until recently and still popular in recent years.

• 4 weeks later...
Jane Goodall, probably the foremost authority on chimpanzees, claims their personalities mirror humans in every way. Her biggest disappointment was when she realised they will kill their own kind, just as we do. I'm not an authority on Darwin, but didnt we get said personality traits from the apes ?

Technically, no. Chimp DNA differs from gorilla DNA more than human DNA differs from gorilla DNA. It means the common ancestor of humans and gorillas came before that of chimps and gorillas, in other words humans branched off before chimps did. And zoologically speaking, we are just one more species of ape. So it would probably be more true to say that chimps got their traits from us. But then again the 'us' we're talking about is a long extinct missing link who you definitely would not want to wake up next to in the morning.

Technically, no. Chimp DNA differs from gorilla DNA more than human DNA differs from gorilla DNA. It means the common ancestor of humans and gorillas came before that of chimps and gorillas, in other words humans branched off before chimps did. And zoologically speaking, we are just one more species of ape. So it would probably be more true to say that chimps got their traits from us. But then again the 'us' we're talking about is a long extinct missing link who you definitely would not want to wake up next to in the morning.

If we are talking big, hairy and completely incapable of coherent thought, I suspect that I may have already woken up next to her, er, it. Still the only woman I've ever turned down when she suggested we keep seeing one another purely for the sex. Throw in the hangover from hell and thats a morning I'd prefer to forget. I'm pretty sure she did have opposable thumbs, given that her hand was wrapped tightly around my tallywhacker when I tried to get up and take a shower .... :doh:

I had a discussion tonight with a professor of biology and he said a lot of bullshit here. Chimps and bonobo share 99 % of DNA with humans.

Yep, and we both know what Bonobo do for 99% of each day :grinyes:

Sadly, we also know what chimps are capable of, but we seem to be the worst ape of the lot:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/-/world/13300899/ukrainian-girl-dies-after-horror-gang-rape/

A chimp rips someone's face off and the cops shoot it on the spot - we should be doing the same thing to the animals responsible for this.

Guitar amp pioneer Jim Marshall dies aged 88

Guitar amp innovator Jim Marshall, dubbed "the Father of Loud" for creating kit used by some of rock's biggest names, has died aged 88.

Mr Marshall, who originally owned a music shop in London, founded Marshall Amplification 50 years ago.

He had suffered several strokes in recent years, and developed cancer at the end of 2011, his son said.

A statement posted on the company's website called him a "legendary man" who led a "truly remarkable life".

Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Cobain are among the musicians who used Marshall amps.

Former Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash tweeted: "The news of Jim Marshall passing is deeply saddening. R & R will never be the same w/out him. But, his amps will live on FOREVER!"

Motley Crue bass player Nikki Sixx also paid tribute on Twitter, saying Marshall was "responsible for some of the greatest audio moments in music's history - and 50% responsible of all our hearing loss."

Speaking to Radio Four's Front Row programme on Thursday, musician Paul Weller said he used a Marshall amp that was "at least 40 years old and still sounds fantastic".

"For me it's the exactly right amp for the job," said the former Jam and Style Council frontman. "I don't know if anyone's particularly improved on it, to be honest."

Jim Marshall began building amplifiers in the early 1960s, using the Fender Bassman amp as a model, creating what later became known as "the Marshall sound".

After talking to Pete Townshend and Ritchie Blackmore, who were customers at the shop, he realised there was a gap in the market to make a cheaper alternative to the other models available at the time.

It took him six attempts to create an amp he was happy with.

As the company grew, Mr Marshall expanded his product range, unveiling the Master Volume Marshall amps and the classic JCM800 split channel amps.

"Jim rose to become one of the forefathers responsible for creating the tools that allowed rock guitar, as we know and love it today, to be born," the statement said.

"In addition to the creation of the amps, chosen by countless guitar heroes and game changing bands, Jim was also an incredibly humble and generous man who, over the past several decades, has quietly donated many millions of pounds to worthy causes."

Marshall amplifiers were such a fixture of the rock scene that they featured prominently in the spoof documentary This is Spinal Tap.

In a famous scene from the film, guitarist Nigel Tufnel proudly showed off his Marshall stack which went up to 11. He explained it was "one louder" than usual amplifiers.

In 2003, Marshall he was given the OBE for his services to music and charity. He was a regular supporter of Macmillan and the Willen Hospice.

He also donated money to the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, where he was treated for tuberculosis as a child.

The Marshall Amps company, which is now based in Bletchley, Milton Keynes, is celebrating its 50th anniversary with a tribute concert at Wembley Arena.

Iron Maiden, Slipknot, Whitesnake and The Cult are among the bands who have been lined up to play at the September event.

Mr Marshall will be remembered alongside guitarmakers Leo Fender and Les Paul for shaping the sound of the modern electric guitar.

He is survived by his children Terry and Victoria and step-children Paul and Dawn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Peterson_(surfer)

Unquestionably one of the most naturally gifted surfers ever to paddle out, but whatever deity gave him that gift must have gotten out of the wrong side of the bed. Still, many who knew him in the 70s wouldnt have laid odds on him making it to 2012. I hope he has found the peace that eluded him for much of his life.