Global RIP thread

khunsanuk

<< Armstrong made a rare public appearance several years ago when he testified to a congressional hearing against President Barack Obama administration's plans to buy rides from other countries and corporations to ferry U.S. astronauts to and from the International Space Station.

Armstrong also said that returning humans to the moon was not only desirable, but necessary for future exploration -- even though NASA says it is no longer a priority. >>

But Obie knows better. :(

<< Armstrong made a rare public appearance several years ago when he testified to a congressional hearing against President Barack Obama administration's plans to buy rides from other countries and corporations to ferry U.S. astronauts to and from the International Space Station.

Armstrong also said that returning humans to the moon was not only desirable, but necessary for future exploration -- even though NASA says it is no longer a priority. >>

But Obie knows better. :(

Up, Obama cancelled all manned flights.

I think manned flights don't make much sense at the moment. Especially not to the moon. As we currently see NASA is going much further while using a technology no other country could copy at the moment.

Nevertheless the NASA still has the most current and upcoming unmanned lunar missions.

Obama Scrubs NASA's Manned Moon Missions

Ker Than

for National Geographic News

Published February 1, 2010

If U.S. astronauts land on the moon again before 2020, it won't be aboard aNASA spacecraft.

The space agency's 2011 budget, released today, reveals plans to scrap the Constellation program, including the rockets and spacecraft that NASA has been developing over the past four years to replace its aging space shuttle fleet.

National Geographic

allistar,

There is a difference between euthanasia and suicide

But not in the ending. If you are talking about the Dr. Death type of euthanasia, where family member participate in the celebration of the person's life and then death, the pain would be a lot less. Acting on his own, leaving a suicide note, I assume that Ridley Scott (and others)knew nothing of his brother's plan and suffered a lot of pain because of it.

Toto ? Jesus, next you'll be digging up Asterix and other characters that Hollywood is yet to dredge from the bowels of the comic universe. :neener:

asterix-obelix.gif

As a kid, I read everything I could get my hands on, including an Asterix comic in French. That was relatively easy to digest compared to my copy of Jane Eyre - written entirely in Scottish Gaelic. There is a point where cutting the alpabet back to 18 letters becomes counter-productive IMO .....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Gaelic#Common_words_and_phrases_with_Irish_and_Manx_equivalents

• 5 weeks later...

Dean Barrett has posted on Facebook that Mekong Kurt is no more. RIP Kurt. :(

Stick's interiew with MK

Interesting that we don't find out the basics of who Kurt is until the interview is done (when he finally says "Kurt's column is here" (click link) ).

So Kurt did the "Bangkok A to Z" site. I had looked at that one years ago. It seemed like a decent site. Hoping someone here can fill in a bit more about Kurt.

The site is gone now, by the way, not sure how long it's been gone.

Sad day. Kurt was in bad shape. He had been in the BKK hospital for some days and someone dropped a dime to his family in the USA. He STRONGLY opposed anyone mentioning his condition to his family in the USA but his condition called for it.

Some of his family members flew to BKK and INSISTED he return to the USA, which he did. All this was last week, I think, so he passed away quick.

Have an Underberg for me, Kurt!!!

So Kurt did the "Bangkok A to Z" site. I had looked at that one years ago. It seemed like a decent site. Hoping someone here can fill in a bit more about Kurt.

Kurt was one of the Washington Square regulars. A friendly, easy going guy. Here's what he wrote about himself:

My link

And ...

Kurt's Photo Stream of Washington Square