Global RIP thread

khunsanuk

Andy Williams, 'Moon River' Singer, Dies at 84

Andy Williams, whose corn-fed good looks, easygoing charm and smooth rendition of "Moon River" propelled him to the heights of music stardom in the early '60s, died Tuesday at his home in Branson, Mo., following a battle with bladder cancer, his family announced.

He was 84, and 2012 had marked his 75th year in showbiz. Williams is survived by his wife Debbie and his three children, Robert, Noelle and Christian.

With 17 gold and three platinum records to his name, Williams enjoyed his golden years playing golf and dividing his time between La Quinta, Calif., and Branson, where he appeared at his Andy Williams Moon River Theater since 1992.

My link

I guess that he will finally find out what exactly happened between Claudine Longet and "Spider" Sabich. I had forgot that he was good friends of Robert and Ethel Kennedy and was asked by Bobby to be a Kennedy delegate from California, even though he was a registered Republican. He and Claudine were in the hospital room, to comfort Ethel where Bobby was taken after being shot.

Andy Williams, 'Moon River' Singer, Dies at 84

i'm much too young to remember him of course :biggrin:

my mum was a big fan and in the UK we had his show on a Saturday night for years and we always watched it,but i had no idea who he was.

but of course he has his place in infamy for introducing the Osmonds to an international audience.

• 3 weeks later...

My link

King Norodom Sihanouk dead at 89.

Norodom Sihanouk, the former Cambodian king who was a key figure through decades of upheaval, has died.

The former king died at a hospital in the Chinese capital, Beijing, after having a heart attack. He had been in poor health for several years.

Sihanouk, who was 89, came to the throne in 1941 and led Cambodia to independence from France in 1953.

Despite long periods of exile and his abdication in 2004 due to ill health, he remained an influential figure.

Sihanouk abdicated in 2004 in favour of his son, King Norodom Sihamoni.

"His death was a great loss to Cambodia," said his assistant and relative Prince Sisowath Thomico. "King Sihanouk did not belong to his family, he belonged to Cambodia and to history."

His body is expected to be returned to Cambodia for an official funeral at the royal palace in Phnom Penh. King Sihamoni is flying to Beijing to accompany the late king home, a Cambodian government spokesman said.

A statement from China's foreign ministry hailed Sihanouk as a "great friend of the Chinese people".

I was surprised to see the Palace still intact when I arrived in PP in 2010 - I thought that the events of the last 40 or so years would have seen it turned into an administrative building in the same fashion as many of the vestiges of French colonial occupation. My guide didnt proffer an opinion on the King, one way or the other, and I left it there. She would have been old enough to remember tanks firing on the streets of Pnomh Penh - I still shake my head that the madness went on for so long. The guy with the biggest gun won the day, and he's still there - let's hope his exit sees a smooth transition of power.

Compare Sihanouk with the Laotian royal family. The Pathet Lao ended the Lao monarchy as soon as Hanoi put them in power, and a bit later the King, Queen, and Crown Prince were arrested (for fear their supporters might try to restore them) and sent off to a cave in the jungle. They were never heard from again and eventually all died from maltreatment and starvation. Their bodies were dumped into unmarked graves in the jungle. Sihanouk, on the other hand, was never much bothered by the murderous Khmer Rouge and lived to become a "great friend" to Communist China. :dunno: