Global RIP thread

khunsanuk

Frances Oldham Kelsey died at age 101. She worked for the FDA for 40 years, when she turned 90. She is best known for not approving thalidomide to be prescribed in the U.S. while being pushed as a wonder drug in Europe in dealing with insomina. It did cause birth defects in expecting mothers. As an outgrowth of her story, which went nation wide, a bill was passed, giving the FDA greater powers to regulate new drugs.

• Like 1

I was born at that time. My Mother was offered thalidomide to aid morning sickness. She said that since I was the second she knew what to expect and how to deal with it and as a consequence declined it. I remember growing up watching it all unravel, so very sad.

RM,

Same for me there were a couple of kids I went to school with who were affected by it.

At the time though there were many kids about with one infliction or another be it Thalidomide, Polio, NHS Jam Jar Specs or the hanging out of the ear Hearing Aid and that was only 45-50 years ago, nowadays kids are just obese.

• Like 1

One of my classmates had braces ... polio though. Just before the Salk vaccine.

Big fuss in the States about parents declining vaccination for their kids. They didn't ask in the 1950s, just marched you in and jabbed you.

Thankfully I was post Sabin and my polio was oral on a sugar cube and that my friends is my excuse for consuming copious amounts of diethyl amide that occurred in later years, honest guv'

This is a surprise...and yes, he played American (USA) Football.

Pro Football Hall of Famer Frank Gifford dies at age 84

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/pro-football-hall-of-famer-frank-gifford-dies-at-age-84-191923777.html

Most middle-aged football fans might remember Frank Gifford best for being part of one of the most famous broadcasting teams in sports history, but long before that he was one of the most versatile players the NFL has ever seen. He was a Pro Football Hall of Famer for his great career with the New York Giants

Gifford died Sunday morning at age 84. The family announced the news and it was reported by multiple outlets, including NBC's "Today" show, of which Gifford's wife Kathie Lee Gifford is still a co-host...