Vanity Prince Protege Dies at 57

http://www.tmz.com/2016/02/15/vanity-dies-singer-nasty-girl/

In the day she was sweet! swaaaaawing!!

Home

Prince Protege Vanity Dies at 57

Vanity Prince Protege Dies at 57

912 2/15/2016 4:34 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

EXCLUSIVE

0215-denise-matthews-vanity-getty-8.jpgVanity, lead singer of the '80s girl group Vanity 6, has died after years of battling kidney failure and, more recently, an abdominal illness.

Vanity, whose real name was Denise Katrina Matthews, passed away in a Fremont, CA hospital on Monday ... according to sources close to her family. A few months ago she set up a GoFundMe page, and said she'd been diagnosed with sclerosing encapsulating peritonitis -- an inflammation of the small intestines.

She also battled crack addiction in the '90s, and after a 1994 OD her kidneys were shot. She had to undergo nearly daily dialysis treatments.

Years ago, I had an offer to become the assistant editor of the local newspaper in Harper Lee's hometown of Monroeville. I turned it down, since I'd just come back to the States and wanted to spend time with my parents in north Alabama. It wasn't until long afterwards that my mother told me my father had really wanted me to take the job, but he wouldn't say anything, leaving it up to me. Sometimes I've wondered if I made the right decision. It would have been fascinating to get to know her, which surely would have happened there. (I believe her father had even founded that newspaper.) I love little Southern towns like that, since my family is from one - before my dad got into aerospace and started moving around the country.

• 2 weeks later...

Nancy Reagan, former actress and First Lady, died at age 94. A tough lady but devoted to her husband. I didn't envy her when she spent the last 11 years of her husband's life taking care of him from the effects of Alzheimer's disease. RIP