Global RIP thread

khunsanuk

Glen Campbell has died of dementia at age 81. A very good guitar player, he made his name initially as a super session player on many classic rock albums/songs of the mid 60's. He performed on the Smother Brothers Comedy Hour, which led to his own variety show. All the while, coming up with hit after hit; By the time I get to Phoenix, Wichita Lineman, Rinestone Cowboy, etc. I'll conveniently forget to mention his acting career. I'll also conveniently not mention the number of times that he was married. RIP, Glen!

• 2 weeks later...

They are crying in the streets of Pars because their beloved recipient of the French Legion of Honor, Jerry Lewis, has died at age 91. His career started in the 1940's, playing the Catskills Mountain circuit. He met Dean Martin there and they teams up to become the most successful comedy duos of all time. After breaking up in 1958, Lewis went on to star and direct a series of successful comedies, culminating with "The Nutty Professor." Lewis was also a longtime spokesman and fundraiser for the Muscular Dystrophy Association, and appearing on the MDS Labor Day Telethon for the entire 24 hour period (along with Ed McMahon). I never understood the French fascination with Jerry Lewis and he had an enormous ego which helped break up Martin and Lewis. But when it came to kids, particularly sick kids, I wouldn't question his single minded devotion to help them in any way that he could. RIP!

Dick Gregory a comedian (bad day for comedians) and civil rights advocate in the states, not sure how well known he was outside the states.

I remember reading one of his books and this line, excuse the extreme paraphrasing

I was in the South, enjoying a fried chicken dinner when a few big rednecks came in and said, "Boy, whatever you do to that chicken, we are going to do to you", so I picked up the chicken and kissed it.

• Like 1