Global RIP thread

khunsanuk

• 3 weeks later...

(Meredith/AP) -- R. Lee Ermey, a former marine who made a career in Hollywood playing hard-nosed military men like Gunnery Sgt. Hartman in Stanley Kubrick’s “Full Metal Jacket,†has died.

Ermey’s longtime manager Bill Rogin says he died Sunday morning from pneumonia-related complications. He was 74.

It is with deep sadness that I regret to inform you all that R. Lee Ermey ("The Gunny") passed away this morning from complications of pneumonia. He will be greatly missed by all of us. It is a terrible loss that nobody was prepared for. He has meant so much to so many people. And, it is extremely difficult to truly quantify all of the great things this man has selflessly done for, and on behalf of, our many men andwomen in uniform. He has also contributed many iconic and indelible characters on film that will live on forever. Gunnery Sergeant Hartman of Full Metal Jacket fame was a hard and principled man. The real R. Lee Ermey was a family man, and a kind and gentle soul. He was generous to everyone around him. And, he especially cared deeply for others in need.

There is a quote made famous in Full Metal Jacket. It's actually the Riflemen's Creed. "This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine."

There are many Gunny's, but this one was OURS. And, we will honor his memory with hope and kindness. Please support your men and women in uniform. That's what he wanted most of all.

Semper Fi, Gunny. Godspeed.

The Kanas native was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for his memorable performance in “Full Metal Jacket,†immortalizing lines like “What is your major malfunction?†He also voiced the little green army man Sarge in the “Toy Story†films and played a helicopter pilot in “Apocalypse Now,†among many other roles.

Rogin says that while his characters were often hard and principled, the real Ermey was a family man and a kind and gentle soul who supported the men and women who serve.

He made dozens of other appearances in film and television, a number of them in military roles. He also hosted documentary shows on the military including "Lock N' Load with R. Lee Ermey" on the History Channel and "GunnyTime" on the Outdoor Channel.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's ave a look at what you coulda married...

She's 16, Filipino, never mind take her back lads!

Classic

It's tough to beat a northern comedian on his game. That easy going almost laconic right between the eyes, take that yer twat!

Brilliant.

• 1 month later...

R.I.P. Anthony Bourdain. Died by apparent suicide. IMHO a huge talent.

Personally I feel suicide is a cowards way out, except for terminal disease,, but there is no denying that in some people depression takes hold. It's a real shame.