Global RIP thread

khunsanuk

• 2 weeks later...

Sir Frank Williams, founder and former team principal of the Williams Racing Formula 1 team, has died aged 79.

He built the team named after him into one of the most successful in the sport.

During his time with Williams, the team won nine constructors' championships and seven drivers' titles, and dominated much of the 1980s and 1990s.

He and daughter Claire moved away from the sport in September 2020 after selling Williams to US investors.

In a statement, the Williams team said: "It is with great sadness that on behalf of the Williams family, the team can confirm the death of Sir Frank Williams CBE, founder and former team principal of Williams Racing, at the age of 79.

"After being admitted into hospital on Friday, Sir Frank passed away peacefully this morning surrounded by his family.

"Today we pay tribute to our much loved and inspirational figurehead. Frank will be sorely missed. We request that all friends and colleagues respect the Williams family's wishes for privacy at this time."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/59453378

17 hours ago, Mekong said:

Sir Frank Williams, founder and former team principal of the Williams Racing Formula 1 team, has died aged 79.

Which reminds of the time when Formula One or car-racing in general has been fun to watch. Today some young robots are talking all the same marketing crap driving cars which are more close to spaceships than automobiles. I remember an interview with James Hunt sitting at a swimming pool smoking a ciggy and holding a glass in the other hand, admired by a young blonde. Which would today result in an uproar and  immediate dismissal.

22 hours ago, buffalo_bill said:

Which reminds of the time when Formula One or car-racing in general has been fun to watch. 

Not only fun to watch, actually worth watching, Hunt/ Lauda excellent racing, surely it couldn’t get better than that, then come along Senna and Prost to prove me wrong. 
I used to follow F1 avidly back in those days, it was exciting, gave me a buzz, now I couldn’t care less and can’t remember the last time I watched a race, the only time I know the result is when I see the back pages of Monday’s newspaper.

I know, we no longer have newspapers, allow this old fart poetic license, Back page of the newspaper always has and always will be synonymous with Sports headlines, just as much as page 3 is withTits.

I read 9 papers a week. It is a difference to read an article over 25 minutes and get involved into something or briefly look at the headlines on a website. Although the latter win the battle talking about tits.

I used to get up 4 in the morning to watch a race in Australia. Nowadays they race in Bahrein or whereever the money comes from. It finally died after Schumacher left with Ferrari.

But Bangkok Post or the Nation cannot be compared with say the Telegraph and Guardian in UK or Die Welt and Suddeutsche Zeitung in Germany

Guardian online is very good for an online publication, but it does have a Northern bias starting life as the Manchester Guardian from my home City some of the abstract articles are very northern centric 

For me F1 died with the death of Senna in 1994, never been the same since.

Since the printed Nation is not there any more I changed to the Post after waking up when in BKK. While the Nation did have some substance here and there, the Post is hardly worth the paper many times. On the other hand there is the Thai Rath. Excellent photos of people who got between a bus and a locomotive. I like the photos of men in brown pointing at a drug dealer or dead people.