Global RIP thread

khunsanuk

50 minutes ago, bust said:

I think you and I would be the only 2 on the board who new who Chris Bailey was. Probably the same goes for Ed Kuepper

Sight Correction, make that 3

After the release of I’m stranded, The Saints relocated to the UK for a time and recorded follow up Albums in London.

Apart from their native Brisbane, they were bigger in the UK than in Australia.

In the UK they supported AC/DC on Let There Be Rock tour.

Spinal Tap drummer Ric Parnell dies aged 70

Parnell, who played Mick Shrimpton in This Is Spinal Tap, also played in bands including Horse, Atomic Rooster, Nova and Stars

Ric Parnell, who played the drummer Mick Shrimpton in This Is Spinal Tapand later toured with the band, has died. He was 70.

The actor Harry Shearer announced the news on Twitter on Sunday, writing: “Ric Parnell, our drummer in This Is Spinal Tap, passed away today. No one ever rocked harder.”

Additional details, including a cause of death, were not immediately available.

Born in London in 1951, the son of the jazz drummer Jack Parnell, the longtime leader of the band on The Muppet Show, Parnell played in bands including Horse, Atomic Rooster, Nova and Stars. He also played with Michael Des Barres and on the 1981 hit Hey Mickey, by Toni Basil.

But Parnell was arguably best known for portraying Shrimpton in This Is Spinal Tap, the 1984 cult rock mockumentary.

His character’s numerous predecessors had suffered various bizarre deaths, including choking on vomit and being killed in a gardening accident. Shrimpton explodes onstage while performing in Japan at the conclusion of the movie.

When Spinal Tap went on a real-world tour, Parnell assumed the persona of Shrimpton’s twin brother, Ric. The act appeared on Saturday Night Live and in 1992 released an album named Break Like the Wind.

Des Barres wrote on Twitter on Monday that “even if he played a parody”, Parnell was “a flawless drummer in any genre”.

“Some musicians are playing a role,” Des Barres said. “Others are rock‘n’roll. Ric Parnell was the latter. The real thing. Lost and found in a rhythm that was both jarring and beautiful. His heart still beats.”

Parnell recently lived in Missoula, Montana, where he hosted a radio show under a title – Spontaneous Combustion – that alluded to his demise in This Is Spinal Tap.

“Nobody hit the drums harder than Ric,” Michael McKean, who portrayed Spinal Tap’s frontman, David St Hubbins, wrote on a GoFundMe page to help pay expenses associated with his death.

“He was the real deal. RIP, Legend.”
Link

• 1 month later...

RIP Marc, I don't think so!  Never understood why some had a soft spot for him, scared I expect to get on the wrong side of him as he was a violent criminal. Some idolise the Krays still in the same way, must be a phycological explanation with this fascination of evil. He was in a Japanese prison for drugs, pool shark, pimp, drug dealer and murderer, not to mention blackmailer of course. The news that he died being shot after planning to murder 2 other people cheered me up I must say. The world can do without scum like him, oh yes he made a packet from his pimping and bar rackets, that's hardly an excuse to big the guy as up some sort of decent buddy and clever entrepreneur. Maybe karma is real after all. Fitting end for a low life criminal, which is just what he was. Dying so decide to kill 2 people over some shady deal while on the way out, cant get much lower than that.