Global RIP thread

khunsanuk

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Legendary-NFL-defender-Bubba-Smith-passes-away-a?urn=nfl-wp4511

Legendary NFL defender Bubba Smith passes away at age 66

Former NFL defensive end and longtime television and movie actor Charles Aaron "Bubba" Smith was found dead in his Los Angeles home on Wednesday. Coroner's reports have not yet been released, but according to the Los Angeles Times, it is believed that Smith died of natural causes.

Smith attended Michigan State, where he was one of the most dominant collegiate defensive linemen of all time. He won All-America honors in 1965 and 1966, and was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1988.

Selected first overall in the 1967 NFL draft by the Baltimore Colts, Smith soon became, along with Deacon Jones, one of the first truly modern-style pass-rushers and sack artists. He played long before sacks were first tabulated as an official NFL statistic in 1982, but he was known from the start of his professional career to be nearly impossible to block.

He played for three teams — the Colts, Oakland Raiders and Houston Oilers, appeared in two Pro Bowls and was named First-Team All-Pro in 1971. Smith played in two Super Bowls — Super Bowl III, which the Colts lost to the New York Jets in an enormous upset, and Super Bowl V, which the Colts won with a last-second field goal against the Dallas Cowboys. Smith retired after the 1976 season, having played in 111 regular-season games.

After his football career ended, Smith became perhaps even more well-known as an actor. He struck gold in the "Police Academy" series of movies, playing the hyper-strong Moses Hightower and providing a series of riotous slapstick scenes.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Former NFL star Bubba Smith, who went from feared defensive end on the field to endearing giant in his successful second career as an actor, died Wednesday. He was 66.

Los Angeles County coroner's spokesman Ed Winter said Smith was found dead at his Baldwin Hills home. Winter said he didn't know the circumstances or cause of death.

Police spokesman Richard French added the death does not appear to be suspicious.

The top overall pick in the 1967 draft after a sensational career at Michigan State, the 6-foot-7 Smith spent five seasons with the Baltimore Colts and two seasons each with Oakland and Houston. He won the 1971 Super Bowl with the Colts.

"I'm saddened by it. I remember my first training camp in 1972 in Golden, Colo. I spent a lot of time with him there. He was a great guy. He was a giant, the biggest player on the field," Colts owner Jim Irsay said.

One of the best pass rushers in the game, Smith often drew two blockers, yet was effective enough to make two Pro Bowls and one All-Pro team. His best work, though, came in college, and Smith was enshrined in the College Football Hall of Fame in 1988.

"He was simply a good guy," former Michigan State teammate Robert Viney said in a statement released through the university. "His size made him an intimidating figure, but he was a real gentleman. He was a helluva player."

As an actor his most memorable role was playing Moses Hightower, the soft-spoken officer in the "Police Academy" series. He also appeared in such television series as "Good Times," ''Charlie's Angels," and "Half Nelson," and was a regular in the ground-breaking Miller Lite commercials featuring retired players.

Born Charles Aaron Smith, he played in high school for his father, Willie Ray Smith, in Beaumont, Texas, before heading to Michigan State, where he was an All-American in 1966.

"'Bubba' Smith was a great Spartan," Michigan State athletic director Mark Hollis said in a statement. "As both a football player and later as an actor, 'Bubba' was a great ambassador for the University. It's only fitting that beginning this fall the Big Ten Defensive Lineman of the Year Award bears his name."

At Michigan State he played on some of the school's greatest teams under coach Duffy Daugherty and was one of its best players. Fans in East Lansing, Mich., would chant, "Kill, Bubba, Kill" during games and his No. 95 jersey was retired in 2006.

"I will shed some tears tonight because I've lost a great friend," Viney said. "He never sought the spotlight. He was a humble man. As I remember him, I recall the chants of "Kill, Bubba, Kill" from the crowd in Spartan Stadium. He will be missed."

Smith was part of two of the most famous football games ever played. In 1966, he was at Michigan State when the Spartans and Notre Dame, both undefeated, played to a 10-10 tie. Michigan State finished second behind the top-ranked Fighting Irish that season.

In 1965 and '66, Smith helped Michigan State go 19-1-1 and win consecutive Big Ten titles.

"Bubba was definitely a game changer as a defensive end," former Michigan State teammate Gene Washington said. "You simply didn't see guys with his size and quickness coming off the defensive line. His ability spoke for itself. He was a great teammate and a great leader. Bubba never had to say much because he led by example."

In 1969, Smith played for the Colts against the New York Jets in the Super Bowl. Led by Joe Namath, the Jets of the AFL upset the NFL champion Colts 16-7 in Miami.

My link

• 2 weeks later...

Bollywood actor Shammi Kapoor dies, aged 79

Veteran Bollywood actor Shammi Kapoor has died in the western Indian city of Mumbai (Bombay) at the age of 79.

Kapoor had been suffering for some time from kidney disease and had been admitted to hospital last week.

He belonged to a famous family of filmmakers and actors, and was a prominent star in 1950s and 1960s.

One of the most popular actors of his generation, Kapoor starred in hits like Junglee, An Evening in Paris, Chinatown and Kashmir Ki Kali.

Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan tweeted that with Kapoor's death the "flamboyance and joie de vivre of the [film] industry [was] lost".

Shammi Kapoor acted in more than 100 films. Fans called him the "Elvis Presley of India" for his frenetic and nifty dancing.

He developed a style of his own and moviegoers flocked to the theatres just to see Shammi Kapoor's antics and mannerisms.

With his infectious on-screen persona and energy, Shammi Kapoor was Bollywood's first real star, say correspondents.

'Yahoo!'

The actor was also a keen internet buff and amongst the first Indians to have a website of his own.

When Yahoo opened its office in Mumbai several years ago he was invited by its co-founder Jerry Yang.

At the launch, Kapoor was pleasantly surprised to hear the band playing his Yahoo song from the film Junglee [or Wild], made famous years before the internet existed, and so called for his famous cry of "Yahoo!".

Later, Mr Yang told him how inspired he was by the Yahoo song and the way the actor had used the word in his inimitable style in so many of his films.

"It was all very flattering. Many of my relatives still call up and ask whether I own Yahoo," he told the BBC in an interview.

My link

• 2 weeks later...

Dennis Hammons passed away a few days ago.

Long time resident of LOS, often seen in the Washington Square area.

He lived in Korat with his wife and daughter.

Good guy! VN vet with the agent orange curse that finally did him in.

Died in his sleep.

Read more here: http://mekhongkurt.com/

RIP, bro.

I'd talked with him a few times. We were all exposed to Agent Orange. I wonder if it's the cause of my nerve damage and run in with melanoma. Haven't heard of it connected with heart disease, but checking out in your sleep is the way to go. :(

US blues musician David 'Honey-Boy' Edwards dies

US blues musician David "Honey-Boy" Edwards has died at his home in Chicago at the age of 96, his manager has said.

Music historians say he was the last direct link to a unique generation of blues musicians and the last of the great pre-war bluesmen.

Known for his far-ranging travels, Edwards was still playing about 70 shows a year in his 90s.

He won a 2008 Grammy for traditional blues and received a Grammy Lifetime Achievement award in 2010.

Among his most famous songs were Just Like Jesse James, Long Tall Woman Blues and Gamblin' Man.

Legendary story-teller

The BBC's Peter Bowes, in Los Angeles, says Edwards' guitar-playing style was gritty and edgy.

Born in 1915 in Shaw, Mississippi, Edwards learned to play as a child and left home at the age of 14 to travel with some of the great Delta Blues musicians of the 1930s and 40s, including Howlin' Wolf and Little Walter. He started playing professionally, at age 17, in Memphis.

His manager said he had a photographic memory of every detail of his life and told legendary stories. Edwards, he has recounted, described witnessing the moment when bluesman Robert Johnson drank the glass of poisoned whisky that killed him at the age of 27.

"Blues ain't never going anywhere," Edwards told AP in 2008.

"It can get slow, but it ain't going nowhere. You play a lowdown dirty shame slow and lonesome, my mama dead, my papa across the sea I ain't dead but I'm just supposed to be blues.

"You can take that same blues, make it uptempo, a shuffle blues, that's what rock 'n roll did with it. So blues ain't going nowhere."

Edwards earned his nickname "Honey-Boy" from his sister, who told his mother to "look at honey boy" when he stumbled as he learned to walk as a toddler.

BBC :rip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7UV0JKEfVQ

• 1 month later...

RIP Steve Jobs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX9GTUMh490

Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do. - Apple Inc.